Demand for English or Social Studies teachers?

andybaxley86

Demand for English or Social Studies teachers?

Post by andybaxley86 »

Hey everyone,
I know I want to break into the IS world, but I'm still working on figuring out exactly which subject area I am going to teach. I waver back and forth between HS English and HS Social Studies, but I worry that I will have an extremely difficult time finding a job in either.

What is the reality of the situation? Am I crazy to try and go into these less in-demand fields, or is it doable. My issue, of course, is that these are the two subjects I feel most passionate about, so I think I have to pursue one or the other either way.

The advantages I have are that I am young(26), single, and willing to work pretty much anywhere for a couple of years to pay my dues, whether that means podunk USA, rural China, the M.E., or whatever else.

Anyhow, any wisdom or advice on how to break into these fields would be greatly appreciated!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If you could do a double major, it is even better.

However, English over Social Studies, which at the HS level is History, actually.

Also try to get IB experience on your teacher training or practicum.

Good luck!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I don't see any reason why you think you would have to pay dues in a location less-desirable to you, though a minimum two years in the U.S. would improve your chances. English teachers are indeed needed, and in IB schools, Humanities is taught, which would include SS. At my last school in Ecuador, the English dept. was the largest as each student cohort was split in two for their English classes. I agree that a double major, or a major and minor if that's offered, would be your best bet. Smaller schools would have teachers double up on their subjects. Just make sure that you can get the proper endorsement for both subjects on your teaching certificate.
National

Post by National »

As someone who is certified for both English and Social Studies (emphasis history), I can speak from a bit of experience having gone through the job search process this year. My English certification was definitely more useful than my social studies. There were a lot more jobs listed for English and seemed to be a glut of candidates for the social studies positions.

Having both definitely helped for consideration for the middle school humanities positions and for smaller schools that need someone to teach more than one subject. Social Studies/English combos are common at the smaller schools, so I would definitely suggest that you get both.

Also -- while these positions aren't in "high" demand like math, chemistry, and physics, there didn't seem to be a shortage of positions (especially English). I was able to get interviews by Skype and at a job fair from a variety of desirable locations/schools.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Do neither at least not for your initial training. The rational is that while I agree english (which is referred to as literature, since a number of schools in the minority focus on literature that isnt "english" and differentiates it from ELL) is more marketable then social studies (humanities in IB) this is for experienced teachers, and you have to get pasta number of hurdles before your "experienced".
When you graduate you will need several years of teaching experience and waiting for a literature or SS position in your local district could take a decade or forever. You might never get hired and for a SS teacher you will likely have to coach as well. Yes you could go to an IS but in literature and humanities you will eb at the bottom of a very big (which will depend on the tier of the school) but will still be the bottom of the pile.

Depending on your state you may not even need a major or a degree in your teaching field to get certified. many states allow you to add certification areas by passing the praxis or another state teaching examination.
You may think you need some coursework in social studies and literature, and you will since your general education requirments for your degree likely require a year of compositiuon and a year of literature, as well as a year of history and another year of social science (psychology, sociology, anthropology, economics, political science, etc). So you will have two years of each and you could easily make those a minor each with one or two additional courses.
At the DIP and upper secondary level, social studies (Humanities) is basically history. Offering more is usually needed to secure a position, but history is practically assumed that you can teach, and most states have a history certification and then a general social studies certification that includes history and a lot of other social sciences.
Humanities and Literature are often paired and being qualified in both will increase your marketability, especially at the MYP and middle school level.

Of course math/science/ICT are more in demand and more marketable. For an inexperienced teacher the focus major of your degree is a significant decision factor for a recruiter to make. It eases insecurity about the teachers subject competence, and a teacher with a major/degree in the teaching subject will beat out one who is just certified with all else being equal.

I would major in something like Special Education if your not a numbers person, which is mainly available at upper tier schools (moving you into a better category of school) and is often difficult to fill, making it more in demand. Having additional qualifications compliment a SPED teacher very well and you can easily do literature and social studies as a minor with little extra effort.