Counselor and IB

eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

krdking,

I don't think the IB experience piece is as crucial for a counselor as it would be for a teacher. I'm sure there are some top tier schools that want it even for counselors, but really as long as you understand the IB system enough to advise students for their sign up process then I think you would be fine.

I have been hired as a high school counselor by a tier 2 school with a full IB curriculum PYP/MYP/DP. I've also been working as a college counselor, though like you, I completed a MA in school counseling and I hold a credential. I am currently working at an AP school, though I was familiar with IB from my days in college admission.

I image what you've been learning about IB for your incoming class this year will be sufficient (I'm assuming there has been some training, but maybe not with a Chinese run school). I wouldn't suffer through a 3rd year at a Chinese run school. Licensed school counselors with college counseling experience are in demand. You should be able to be hired early in the hiring process (October - December) next year if you are prepared. Hopefully you attended EARCOS and started networking already, but I would register and attend the OACAC conference, which is in Poughkeepsie, NY the second week of July. OACAC is a good place to learn more about IB curriculum. IBO has sent representatives in the past to the conference.

There is also an OACAC group on FB that you might want to join. They posted a number of school counseling jobs there this year.

Good luck.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont agree with eion_padraig comments. Our differences really depend on where your going or want to go. For example a small IS with only one Counselor that has a LS/SEn program were the counselor participated and advised on action plans /IEPs would really need familiarity with IB curriculum, and not just introductory philosophy an terminology, a school and recruiter in such a position would may very well want "IB Experience".
In some schools the counselor may also have a light teaching load, such as Psychology, or TOK, and I know a couple counselors who double as CAS coordinators.

The real issue though is what "experience" your going to gain from a third year? If you just want to "say" you have IB experience so you can tag your resume with it, you will already have it after your second year since you will be half way (1 year) into your first class. There is little if any bennefit gained by waiting for the completion/graduation of your first class (a teacher would be different, since score data would be very marketable for them). otherwise you will already have "IB experience". Depending on what your IB experience really is that year (or two) if it doesnt provide you anything that you can really demontrate to a recruiter, then having it or not having it isnt going to effect your ability to BS it or fake it in an interview, depending ont the schools needs.
If your applying for a student management/guidance/college advising position, or as a member of a multi person counseling department (that doesnt have a fous on curriculum) then IB experience isnt going to mean very much, and you can more then likely get what you need from a training workshop/seminar (the IB does have/offer Counselor training workshops usually at level 2/3.
bilinguallearner

Post by bilinguallearner »

Well, I personally don't believe in sticking with a job that makes you unhappy- we spend too many hours at our jobs and life is too short. Esp if you've already been there a year and know you don't like it! I think as long as you've fulfilled your commitments and wrapped up your work there with your students, move on. Nothing, even the IB experience, is worth a job you don't like for 3 years.

Just my two cents....

Stephanie

Check out the new post with super links to diversity guidance lessons at www.bilinguallearner.com/-blog!