April soon and still nothing, help?!

djbambi

April soon and still nothing, help?!

Post by djbambi »

Hello everyone,
I am starting to feel a bit desperate and I am looking for advice.
I still have no job. I am registered with Search but I didn't go to a job fair ( no will,no money). I am also with Tie on line.
My background: French teacher, native speaker, 8 years experience, IB experience, single, no dependents.
I applied to approximately 70 schools this year. No success. I don't know what I could do differently. Shall I make spontaneous applications?! I don't know if it's a good idea. So, I reply to the Search offers and TieonLine but there are less and less offers coming up.
For me, registering with Search was a waste of time and money as I didn't go to a fair anyway and I found that TieonLine has the same ffers more or less.
I guess everytime I apply to an offer, they receive tons of applications and I don't stand out. And from what I saw this year with my former colleagues, knowing people within the school, really helped them to get the job.
Any idea, advice?
Thanks in advance.
Questions

Post by Questions »

Hi
I don't know if this is any help but just a little bit of encouragement. I was not able to go to a job fair either and I was still able to find employment with my first international school a few years. I ended up getting the position in May at a very good school in Europe, so just keep watching the websites and applying to everything you can because you never know. :)
Good luck!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Openings do come up later than this, even. I applied for my current job in April two years ago, and finally landed it that May (my predecessor was waiting for a visa to immigrate to another country, and the school kindly held the job open for her; the status was "tentative" when I applied). An acquaintance recently landed her #1 choice.

The Psyguys and Higgsbosons of the world, who accept several offers and then choose one, ensure a supply of good openings coming along, not to mention those who get cold feet, get pregnant, have (genuine) family emergencies.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

There is a SEarch fair in June in Bethesday Maryland/Washington DC area - check it out.

Network with former colleagues - always helps to stay in touch!

Good luck and don't give up hope :-)
Fortesias

Post by Fortesias »

The job fairs initially in my mind are very important to go to. Even if you don't have an interview set up, you have an opportunity to meet different school hiring teams and introduce yourself in person at least. Then if they like you, they will request an interview with you. Good luck!
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I was hired in May for my current job. A few of my colleagues are still getting interviews now. It's not too late - but look further than Search and Tie. TES, CIS, joyjobs....go to the ibo website and just go down the list of international school websites. I'm sure there are still jobs out there.
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

I agree with durianfan: sign up for joyjobs, check TES, check CIS, and check the IBO jobs page. There are still jobs posted.

My first IS posting job offer, in a European school, came in June because I began the process late. The school was not a bad one for getting my feet wet in the IS market. A few years back, I got a job offer near the end of May. There are still options, but also, there is the possibility, you might not get an IS job for next year (at least at anything other than a nightmare school). Have a contingency plan, but don't assume it's all over for the 2013-14 academic season. Good luck!
djbambi

THANKS!

Post by djbambi »

Thank you to all of you! I feel better, I will follow your advices. If something comes up, I will let you know.
All the best to each one of you. :D
kuwaitikid

Post by kuwaitikid »

I've recently accepted a position at what many would consider a 'top tier' school (a contentious term - I know). Since I have been the beneficiary of many previous postings, I would like to share with you the following experiences/conclusions :

References seem to have become even more important; I had a number of schools who took up my reference who didn't invite me to interview. I think this was due to the fact that one reference wasn't considered to be positive enough (often it is what isn't said, rather than what is said).

I attended a Search Fair and was made four offers of employment : so much for them being a waste of time, as some posters would try and make you believe. Preparation is everything. Having said that, two schools literally tried to coerce me into signing a contract there and then, despite the fact that I hadn't completed my interviews. Employers are meant to give you at least 24 hours to make a decision.

The Search Database is useful for making comparisons and direct applications, but some of the information relating to terms and conditions is inaccurate.

Having spent five hundred pounds on attending an interview and having been unsuccessful, I resolved never to do this again; I resolved that for me it would be Skype or the Fairs. I incurred a similar cost for attending the Search Fair but at least here you should be able to arrange a minimum of four or five interviews, thus increasing your chances immeasurably.

CV - two pages maximum, with the focus on achievements.

Interview technique: I spent a lot of time on this and it was a worth while exercise; however, I found that there is ultimately no substitute for being relaxed, positive and genuine (easier said that done, I know).

Always look for opportunities during the interview to demonstrate your knowledge of the school and the ways they can benefit from your knowledge, skills, experience. What is your USP?

IB experience is now critical. Do everything possible to get some experience if you haven't already (summer school, training courses etc).

TES is still the best source for job advertisements and this website has proven to be invaluable in enabling me to carry out background research on schools, although you need to more than a little skeptical about many of the reviews.

I'm certain there are still numerous vacancies, for reasons that have already been alluded to by previous posters. Best of luck to those who haven't already found a suitable position.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@djbambi

What school types are you applying too?

My warning alarm went off when you said french teacher. French and many other foreign languages are very "niche". Most ISs would want a native not just a fluent teacher. even then only a handful of positions come up each year.

If you really want to expand your options you may try a Offshore/Overseas French Lycee school. The list is maintained by the AEFE, in the Foreign Affairs Ministry. You can find the list here:

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTex ... =rechTexte
djbambi

Re: Reply

Post by djbambi »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@djbambi

I apply mostly to IB international schools. I am a French native speaker so may be I can be more lucky?
Thanks for your infos!

What school types are you applying too?

My warning alarm went off when you said french teacher. French and many other foreign languages are very "niche". Most ISs would want a native not just a fluent teacher. even then only a handful of positions come up each year.

If you really want to expand your options you may try a Offshore/Overseas French Lycee school. The list is maintained by the AEFE, in the Foreign Affairs Ministry. You can find the list here:

----://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?c ... =rechTexte[/quote] :D