Librarian/teacher

librarygirl

Librarian/teacher

Post by librarygirl »

Hi everyone, I am new so please forgive if I ask any obvious questions. I have a BA in Anthropology and I am currently working on getting a Masters in Library and Information Science. I know that there are some Library positions for librarians but I wasn't sure how many. Although I do plan on getting a teacher certificate when I am done with my Masters to help with the job search and what not. I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion would be on a librarians chances of getting a job at an international school. I would also have a trailing spouse. We aren't married yet but plan to in the next year or so. Oh and I was thinking of joining ISS and SA but I wasn't sure if I should do both or if just one would be enough or if one was just for teachers or not.
Thank You!
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Hi librarygirl! Welcome to the forum. There aren't very many librarians on here, so I'll do my best to answer your questions.

My husband and I are about to head over for our first international assignments, so I'm not an expert, but I can share what our experience has been looking for jobs this year. To give you an idea of my qualifications, I've got a BA in English Lit, MLS in Youth Services, teaching certificate, 2 years of experience in the library and 2 in the classroom, plus a husband who teaches in high-need areas.

"I know that there are some Library positions for librarians but I wasn't sure how many."

We were focusing on schools that could hire both of us, but to give you an idea, we applied to (or were contacted by) 47 schools from October through January, and 19 of them had library openings. There were about 10 more library vacancies on my radar when we got hired. I got ONE interview for a library job. I ended up accepting a classroom teaching job instead. Of course, we didn't go to a fair.

"Although I do plan on getting a teacher certificate when I am done with my Masters to help with the job search and what not."

The library job market seems to have a different set of standards from regular teaching jobs. Some schools prefer to hire local librarians, some require the cert but no masters, some require the masters but no cert, and some seem to just hire the wife of the new Physics teacher, whether she's qualified or not. I never felt like I had a real understanding of what most schools wanted, or whether the same visa requirements applied to librarians. Maybe some admins on here can comment. I would say that getting a teaching cert can't hurt; some countries require it for the visa. I'm sorry to say this but, on paper, I would probably be a more desirable candidate than you, and I obviously didn't make the short list for the jobs I applied for.

"I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion would be on a librarians chances of getting a job at an international school. I would also have a trailing spouse. We aren't married yet but plan to in the next year or so."

I'm sure you already know that having a trailing spouse makes things more difficult.

I think a lot of it hinges on the size and reputation of the school: they might see the library job as a minor position filled by a trailing spouse, an admin position requiring five years of experience, or a spot they prefer to fill with a local hire. The one interview I had was for a coordinator position, managing local hires at three different school libraries. My point is... I find it hard to make generalizations about what schools want or what your chances are. If someone else can give a better picture, I'd be happy to hear it.

"Oh and I was thinking of joining ISS and SA but I wasn't sure if I should do both or if just one would be enough or if one was just for teachers or not."

They both allow librarians. I can't tell you much about ISS because we used Search. I believe SA counts librarians as administrators if they have previous IS library experience. I think some fairs (like London) allow admins to set up interviews before everyone else. So you and I, because of our lack of experience, would be registered as regular teachers, competing against more experienced librarians with a head start on the interview sign-ups.

Final thoughts:
I'm obviously just one person with one short season of job hunting experience, so take my advice with a grain of salt. There are fewer library openings each year, but there are also fewer candidates. You just have to be one of the best, cheapest, or most flexible. :) I would say your biggest obstacle is your lack of experience. Work in libraries as much as you can while you're finishing your degree. Make sure you can talk about technology in the library -- e-readers, laptops, online communities, etc. -- as well as multilingual collections. Work with a variety of age groups. Most schools that I looked at had a library curriculum that addressed media literacy and research skills, so you need to be able to teach.

I hope I didn't discourage you. My husband and I were being a little picky in our job hunt. If you're willing to go anywhere for any salary, I'm sure you can find something.
librarygirl

Hi BookShelfAmy

Post by librarygirl »

Thank You for replying and answering my questions!

No You did not discourage me at all :). It will just take a little longer to get the experince I need which is fine. Good to know there are jobs out there for when I am finally ready to try job hunting. Thank You for the replies! :)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I want to start by commending bookshelfamy, that was very good post, i cant add much too it.

A lot of what makes a librarian a librarian depends on the school and region. In many places there isnt a formal professional librarian certification. In such places having a Library science degree IS the professional qualification. In some regions a library science degree is an IS (Information Systems degree) and in some cases its a Bachelors level degree and not a Masters.

Being certified (assuming you have the degree) is less a factor then experience, which is absoulutley critical. Most admins really dont care what your credentials are if you can show that you have experience and can run a library (one librarian at an IS ha a degree in history, though shes got a decades worth of experience managing 9 elementary school libraries in a municipal school. Admins want to be very hands off when it comes to the library, really they want it to be as self sufficient and the least demanding part of the school academically. Many admins expect to be pestered when it comes to budget, but otherwise they expect the librarian to leave them alone.

There are about 25 library positions posted each year, this doesnt count the number of "assistant library" positions created for trailng spouses, etc. Counting ISS and SA this year there were 24.

Depending what you can offer will vastly effect your marketability. Having technology skills is very important. Most libraries incorporate a computer lab or wirless workstations and the student printers which will likely play a much larger role in your day to day activity then the shelvable items. Find out what catalog system your school uses and readup on the supplier website so you sound knowledgeable. Being able to to teach a course such as TOK or mentor IB essay/project will also be very marketable.

If you have a very broad search, such as your looking anywhere, i would recommend Search (SA) they have a much larger database (about 650 vis ISS's 150), and you wouldnt be very marketable or likely to be accepted to ISS. SA is the better value.