Working in Kuwait

DallasTX2

Working in Kuwait

Post by DallasTX2 »

I have been lurking on this board for awhile and I know that there are several of you who currently work in Kuwait that are active contributors, so I have a question. My wife was just offered a nice compensation package at a new school their in Kuwait and we are going to accept, so now it is time for me to find employment. I currently teach at a premier college prep school in Texas, but I teach in the Biblical Studies department so I am not a certified teacher. I have two graduate degrees and five years of teaching experience between the university and high school levels. I have served as the Dean of Students at a respected small University here in Texas. I was a collegiate coach for seven years, as well, and I have two graduate degrees. I have also lived and worked in Turkey and as a contractor in Baghdad, so I am very familiar with how things work in the ME. I would love to find a way to teach/work with students but I definitely need to find some type of work. What advice would any of you with experience in Kuwait offer me?

My wife and I are heading abroad because we do not have children and we want to travel. It would make the most sense for us to have similar calendar schedules so I would ideally like to find work at a school. I know how important certifications are in the ME, so I understand that I may not be able to land a teaching gig, despite my diverse and colorful resume.

What advice can y'all offer me as I begin my job search???

Many thanks!!!
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

As long as you have a bachelor's degree you should be able to get a job teaching IN THAT SUBJECT AREA in Kuwait at one of the many private schools. You could also try to land a job as a supply teacher. Some schools have these although I'm not sure which ones.
BigSky

Post by BigSky »

You could also try tutoring. I was able to almost match my salary every month doing this, although this means you would have no benefit perks. You might try UAS, I know they are currently doing a lot of hiring in their high school dept.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

If a school/organization wants you, they can get you a visa for whatever your eligible for and then just have you do what it is they are really hiring you for.

I would start by talking with your wifes new school, and see what opportunities they may be able to through your way. Its common for a school to "create" a position for a trailing spouse when they really want the teacher.
I would skip the secondary and K-12 schools and look at the local colleges and universities. There is no certification for such positions and you have very marketable experience.

If that doesnt work then ELL or tutoring pays well and is very flexible.
3xlucky

Kuwait employment

Post by 3xlucky »

If the new school you are referring to is the one in Sabah Al Salem, it looks as though they are attempting to start a school the right way.

As far as getting a job as not certified, it does depend on the school. Recent changes to the Visa requirements may make schools a little hesitant to hire you as a full time teacher. Each school, depending how they value accreditation, does not like to have many teachers without certification. Which is nonsense based off your experience, but you have to understand that in Kuwait the piece of paper and stamp are most important than actual ability. However, you should be able to work as a supply teacher no problem. As a previous poster mentioned the tutoring business can be affluent though it will be slow to establish. If you have a science or math background you can easily charge 20 KD and hour, especially for high school or upwards of 25 to 35 KD for university English (essay writing). There are also some legitimate tutoring places like Sylvan learning center and Oxford, although they don't pay as much you have guaranteed hours.

If you have any more questions about Kuwait fire away, although I'm on may way out, 5 years here has been good. For the point of your life where you are looking to travel, you couldn't be in a much better hub.

Good luck.
Nomad68

Kuwait salaries

Post by Nomad68 »

Hi, can anyone give me an idea of average salary ranges for Secondary/High schools in Kuwait? I have been told they are quite low compared to Saudi despite similar restrictive lifestyles. Is this true?
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

I was getting US$ 50,000 per year tax free plus completion bonus and free housing. I saved a ton both times I was in Kuwait but all in all, it wasn't worth it. The students are the worst. In fact, when asked to say one good thing about AMERICAN students, I say Kuwaiti students are worse. Both times, a total nightmare.

I hope you have strong classroom management skills.
cdn

Post by cdn »

In general, I haven't seen salaries like the one previously posted. Depending on experience they seem to be n the range of 30-40,000 unless your working in Admin or taking on other roles.

Classroom/behaviour management is a big issue in Kuwait. I have talked with teachers who have taught here in Kuwait and elsewhere in the ME, and they usually agree that Kuwaitis tend to behave the worst. Having said that, I have learned a lot of great techniques for classroom management since I have been here.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I agree with previous posters that I would try to just stick with tutoring. Many, many students want private tutoring and you can make great money without the headache of dealing with a classful of spoiled, rich kids with absolutely no work ethic. That being said, if you really want to teach I would try Dasman Model School, I taught there for one year and they seemed to have a ton of teachers without "real" credientials. I think you could easily get a job there if you marketed yourself correctly.
DallasTX2

Post by DallasTX2 »

Thank you all so much for the very helpful information you have shared. There is a lot for me to chew on but it seems like I have some solid options. Any other advice any of you can offer a teaching couple about to move to Kuwait this August?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

1. Imagine how inefficient things can be. Then multiply it by 2 or 3 so that you are not disappointed.

2. Don't be upset when at places like the hospital they lead you past long lines of Pakistanis and Bangladeshis to the front of the line.

3. In the bakallahs (little markets), don't be surprised when the Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Philippino waves you to the front. The guy isn't going to wait on them until he has waited on you first. You are holding up the line by standing at the back (but always go stand at the back first anyways and wait for them to wave you forward).

4. Imagine your worst driving. You are still being conservative (although it is better than when we lived there!).

5. When a Kuwaiti freaks out on a Philippino/Pakistani/Bangladeshi worker in the mall/restaurant/wherever - do not intervene. Offer support after the fact. Feel free to capture it on your mobile device for posterity though!

These are based on our experiences in Kuwait awhile ago. Friends who are still there tell me that it hasn't changed that much. Good luck! We did two years and actually enjoyed most of it.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

Shadowjack is correct. As much as it will bother you to see how the laborers are treated don't speak out - it could actually be dangerous for you.

I would also recommend you get out and try to interact with locals. I really enjoyed smoking shisha there at the local places where just the Kuwaiti men go. It was a very unique way to see the culture and I learned a lot there. Definitely do that.

I would also plan my trips out of Kuwait carefully. I enjoyed my time there, but you will need a break from the place when you have a holiday so plan accordingly where you want to go (it's cheap and easy to go all over the ME).
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

In reply to what shadowjack said

1. Triple the amount of time it should take to get anything done and that will give you a good estimate of how long it will take in Kuwait.

2. This will happen frequently. Not only will you be brought to the front of the line but you can bet that the Kuwaiti's will walk to the front of lines that you are in and get served before you do.

3. Again, happens frequently.

4. Ever played the video game "Mario Kart?" That is driving in Kuwait in a nut shell.

Going to the dirty street shisha joints is great. All the shisha you can smoke and tea for about 1 KD. It cost 4-5 times that amount in the malls at the upscale joints.

Get out of Kuwait every time you have a long weekend or school break. I've been here several years and travel a lot.
DallasTX2

The American Baccalaureate School Kuwait

Post by DallasTX2 »

I guess it used to be known as the American Bilingual School. Can any of you give me an information, they have scheduled an interview with me.
cdn

Post by cdn »

I know people that work at ABS and they hate it. Their turnover this year was crazy (something like 8 teachers left in September and October), and I don't think many are staying. They often place unreasonable and odd demands on teachers, and they don't get a lot of love from the teachers that work there. One teacher told me that they have to take screenshots of them uploading their lessons (after said lessons have been seen by three other people), and then they send those screenshots to their leader. This is done so that everyone is accountable, I guess, but I was told it was a way of 'sticking it' to the teachers. Just a simple, yet silly administrative thing that requires a lot of time not used for teaching/planning.

Two teachers at my school (which isn't great either) fled that school a few years ago, because of the administration, demands on teachers, school population, and general discontent. I don't want to say much more, but I would steer clear.