Anyone Ever Fly EVA with a Dog?

SAS

Anyone Ever Fly EVA with a Dog?

Post by SAS »

I took a job in Saigon and start in July. This is my first overseas post!!! I am excited and my beast (large dog) is going with me in the cargo hold. EVA told me that he can fly as excess baggage. (Yes, I already read the animal transport blog.)

My only concern is landing and switching places in Taipei. Will this be an issue? Same airline, three hour layover, different plane. I know they will do the transfer. Does anyone know about the transit requirements for the dog, are there any?

Any help is gladly accepted.
Cheers!
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Sooo tempted to make bad jokes and I am NOT going to! Good on me.

I have never used EVA... This is a non-paid commercial announcement for my favorite airline Singapore. I would go with brand loyalty, and trust them with my dog before I would any another airline. That's a long haul flights and lots to consider... If you feel that EVA is a good airline, go with them.
Last edited by grumpy on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Any way you go there will be layovers... One three hour is not bad, now that I think about it. Gives you plenty of time to check on your dog.... Does the airline provide any additional care? food water etc?
Rob

Post by Rob »

EVA is an excellent airlines. I fly it all the time to the States when I travel there. If you can arrange to fly "Deluxe Economy", please do. It's only a couple hundred dollars more, but with the comfort of almost first class. Also, it might allow you a better opportunity to ask the flight attendants about your dog. At any rate, I love EVA.

I taught at an international school in Saigon a couple years ago, and liked it very much. I hope you enjoy yourself there.

Rob
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

I wanted to send a PM. I am new as an active member of this forum. Can someone explain why that has been disabled?
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

It's disabled for everyone.
SAS

Post by SAS »

Rob,
Thanks for the info on EVA.

I am facing so many obstacles arranging transport for Java. I am really upset and very discouraged. There Re several problems. Any help would best appreciated. I don't want to leave him behind.

First:
I am no longer sure I can even get my dog to Los Angels via plane. He is ally tall, 32 inches at the top of his head. This means he must travel in a 700 series kennel that is 35 inches tall. My travel agent has informed me that every plane that flies out of Albuquerque, NM cannot get a dog crate of that size through the cargo hold door. I am looking at options such as renting a van and driving there, a 12 hour drive minimum and not what I really want to do do since I will then have a 22 hour flight give or take.

Second:
Transiting airports with a dog. EVA Air stops in Taipei, a rabies free country. Not sure about transit issues and have not been able to obtain that information. If something were to happen such as the plane cargo door is too small, what then? Would they send him back? Destroy him? Quarantine him?

If I travel other airlines, I am facing similar transiting issues.

Third:
Heat restrictions. While Java is a standard poodle and does not have breathing issues, I have been told that if the outside temperature is above 85 F or 29 C, that they will not allow him to fly. I am trying to get a night flight or early am flight and that seems doable from LAX, however, it is the connecting flight wherever I land. There are no direct LAX to Saigon flights.

Help! I'm desperate.

Thanks
SAS

Post by SAS »

At Grumpy,

The airlines will check and make sure the dog has water. I will not be able to have any access to him.
Last edited by SAS on Sat May 25, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

This is only a suggestion, but please check on flights to Saigon from the East Coast. I have flown to SE Asia before, but I flew through New York. I took Luftansa, which allowed me to bring my cat into the cabin. It is a very pet friendly airlines.

The only drawback is that the flight might be a bit longer. I like EVA, but if you spend a little more, then maybe Luftansa might be better. Perhaps at the least, investigate the East coast.

You have plenty of time left until yo need to leave.

Rob
SAS

Post by SAS »

Thanks Rob.

I did look into this already but only briefly. It is not a viable plan.Not a single airplane that flies out of Albuquerque can fit his kennel through the cargo hold door so that option is off the table. I am not going to drive for three days then fly for two more.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

SAS - we are looking at moving our cats and facing some of the same temperature issues. Luckily, my wife needs to return to our home country next month, and will take the cats as accompanied cargo. If we waited until June, here in the ME, our cats would be a no-fly. Once home they will stay with family members until I return and head to our next posting.

1. So...is there anybody you know in LA who can take your dog BEFORE you have to go?

2. Drive to LA a few days before. Find a hotel or use airbnb to find a room which will allow you to keep your dog. Take him to the beach, Disneylan...ok, not the latter, but you get the idea. That way you and he/she are rested before your flight, instead of doing a drive and flying right away.

3. Communicate with the airline NOW about transiting through Taipei. Get the name of the person you talked to and make sure that they are empowered to provide that information (ie, not just a reservations person, but someone who is in the pet-handling cargo department). I just did that with Lufthansa yesterday to add our cats to my wife's ticket. Ask for very detailed instructions on what you need to do to prepare (for example, many airlines now require you to attach a water dish to the cage, taped or fastened securely, for providing water to the animal).

4. If none of that works, find out about unaccompanied shipping (usually much more expensive). See if you can ship your dog ahead of time and have someone from the school care for him or her until you arrive (expect to pay the person, also). Or, if you have relatives in the LA area, see if they can ship your animal after you leave, when it is not as hot.

Good luck! It is never easy moving your pets around, but I understand where you are coming from. Your pet is part of your family and you have a commitment to him or her.
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

SAS,

First, you will have great difficulties going through Taipei. I looked at doing that a few years ago on a return from SE Asia to the US. Find an alternative route.

What about a drive to Phoenix, spending the night at a hotel (La Quinta has a great pet policy) and flying out of there to LA? You shouldn't need to drive all the way to LA. You also have the option of shipping your dog as cargo on the same flight.

Many airlines will not take animals during the summer because they don't want to spend the money for the needed care and transfers of your pet in the heat. I have moved in the summer to and from tropical places with three pets traveling in the hold. Look for an airline that will keep your pets in an air conditioned room before boarding and boarding your pets last so they are not waiting outside in the heat to be put on the plane.

Lufthansa is very good. I've found Thai to be great for pets. This summer, I'm traveling KLM.

I agree with Shadow Jack about arriving at your US departure city a few days early and staying at a hotel. Take your dog out and have fun. Maybe this way, you could fly from the east coast on a better route.

It is going to be expensive. That's the reality for those of us traveling with our furry family members. It will be more stressful on you than them. It will work out. Take a deep breath. Release. Now look at what you can do, not what seems impossible.

Good luck.
Whatnow

Post by Whatnow »

I would also advise doing some research as to where you can live with a dog in HCMC. I know people who have struggled to find places that will let them have a dog, and most apartments will not allow pets. Good luck.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

SAS,

We're flying with our mini poodle mix out of Dallas this summer, so I understand your anxiety! Here are some things you might find helpful:

United and Lufthansa both have great reputations for their pet services, and they both fly to HCMC. Both of them have special vans & cargo holds, so they don't have temperature restrictions. Of the two, United seems to be quite a bit cheaper to Asia.

If you stay with the same carrier for the whole trip, Java probably won't have to go through customs. He'll be kept in a secure pet transport area, so the quarantine and disease control stuff shouldn't apply. To give you an idea, check out Lufthansa Cargo's pet transport facility in Frankfurt: http://lufthansa-cargo.com/en_de/mainna ... al-lounge/

Also, here are the crate size restrictions for United aircrafts: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content ... ennel.aspx
So avoid United Express. From a different website, "United Cargo is having problems transporting series 700 crates on their 737 700/800 and 900 aircraft."

Can you drive to Dallas, Denver, or Phoenix for your flight? On Kayak.com, you can limit the results to only United flights, and then filter out anything that uses a regional jet (too small). So, for example, I see a flight on July 11 that's United all the way through, Denver-San Francisco-Tokyo-HCMC, all on what seem to be large-enough planes.

http://www.pettravel.com has a list of pet travel policies for 150 airlines, articles, and a forum where the "experts" will answer your questions.

Have you considered using a pet relocation company like http://www.petrelocation.com or http://www.airanimal.com? There are tons of them out there, and most of their websites have free information about airlines and crate requirements.

Hope some of that helps. :)
writer

Post by writer »

SAS,
there is an exceptionally good vet in HCMC, in District 2. Truly the best vet I have ever come across, including those i had in the USA. His name is Dr. Nghia.
I really recommend using a pet transport service to get your dog to HCMC. Yes, it costs, but it is really worth it. I have to ask--will you already have housing when you get to HCMC? If you don't, your dog will have to go in a kennel, etc. I don't think a hotel will let you have a dog in the room. I have moved my pets from the us many places, and i tend to leave them with a family member who then puts them on the plane (or hands them over to the pet transport service) and then I pick them up on the other end. The last time I tried to have them on the plane with me, I was called 3 days before and told that there was not room that day. That CAN happen. Luckily my brother could keep them for a couple of days and then he put them on the plane. There is simply no guarantee that your dog will be able to go on your flight. You would most likely be contacted a few days before, but there isn't really anything you can do --doubtful you will be able to change your own flight.
Note: you will still most likely have to drive the dog to the nearest international airport city--the pet transport folks would have to arrange road transport for the dog to the nearest international airport.