Anyone Ever Fly EVA with a Dog?

SAS

Post by SAS »

Thanks to everyone.

Here is my update.

I wrote Taipei customs. They wrote back and sent a transit permit form. I fill it out and they grant me a transit permit. Phew!

I thought about driving to Denver, 7 hours, but it makes no sense to me to do that drive and then pay for a flight to LAX including the dog shipping fees which were quoted around $350 to LAX. I figure it makes more sense to just drive the additional 4-5 hours and put the money into that drive only, stay in a hotel and get some rest, then leave.

I don't know anyone in LA. I have people that coils keep the dog for a bit in NM and that is my fallback plan.

As for housing in HCMC, I will be in an area that seems quite dog friendly, Phu My Hung. My new principal has a large lab, other teachers have shepherds, all have said housing will be ok. The school knows I am coming with a large dog and are making arrangements for a place for us to stay for the first two weeks. That part does not concern me too much.

The heat issue is being circumvented in LA as I leave in the middle of the night. Taipei is in the morning, around 9:30 so I hope that will not be too hot either. I have emailed several pet relocation services and asked for quotes pm them. I am looking at any and all options. This is the most stressful thing so far about moving.

I will keep you updated.
SAS

Post by SAS »

@writer, thanks for the vet's name.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I recently lived and taught in Phu My Hung and loved the quieter streets, wide sidewalks, and less congested traffic. It's a world apart from the rest of Saigon. I believe you'll love the places to walk your dog. Phu My Hung has some good vets and several pet stores, but the quality of the pet food might not be what your dog is used to.

I know everything will turn out fine. You're only concern is from your home to LA. Your planning ahead so well.

Rob
SAS

Post by SAS »

Rob - dog food concerns

I have asked about the dog foods and I had reached the conclusion that it is not very high quality. I plan to bring some so I can have it on hand, especially at first. Then I plan to feed raw. I hope duck is cheap and I can use a cleaver to cut it up and feed that along with some fruits and veggies. Maybe some rice too.What do you think of this plan Rob?