Not feeling too special

grumpy

Not feeling too special

Post by grumpy »

Hi. I just wanted to make an observation. I accepted a job with a school in SE Asia at the Blizzard Job Fair of 2013 at Cambridge. I was told that I would be hearing from the school in the next week. I heard nothing for about three weeks. I became concerned and contacted the director and he quickly contacted the school HR person. Apparently there was a miscommunication, and things were on track. However, all the HR person has done is provide unclear directions involving very complex visa application processes and it is not crystal clear as to who pays for what. E-mails asking for clarification are vague and I do not think that the HR person can speak English very well. Also, my latest email to the director of the school went unanswered. In brief, l have seen a couple of red flags. I also do not really feel that Search has my back on any of this.

It is my hope that this all clears up, but I am suspecting that the school is not all that I am hoping it would be. Reviews on ISR have been mixed, with the director being accused of being a very cold and uncaring person more than once. Sometimes this may be just bitterness over a particular situation, but sometimes it may just be the truth. Nothing has happened to make me back out of my contract, but I am not feeling great about everything. When I am a director, I will see to it that whoever we hire feels cared for and that they have selected an excellent school that wants the very best for them. I am not feeling that with the school I am now committed to. Maybe I am expecting too much, but I would like clearer directives and more personal attention. Yeah, I guess I think I'm pretty special....

I do not leave for the new post until late July, but between now and then, lots of visa matters must be addressed (and money spent).
Thoughts?
SushiBreakfast

Post by SushiBreakfast »

Just as a contrast...

I accepted a job in Japan shortly before the Cambridge fair, and since then, the principal has been very good at keeping me in the loop. We exchange emails frequently, contracts were mailed/returned, and the wonderful staff liaison person has begun the visa process, explaining each step along the way. If I have any questions, I know that they will be answered promptly. This contact has really kept my mind at ease and reassured me about accepting the position.

I hope the rosy picture I painted doesn't make you more nervous... :)

I hope your situation works out well... It is not uncommon for schools to put lots of things on the back burner until close to deadlines. Many years ago, after accepting my first teaching position in the U.S. in April, I barely heard from the school until August when staff orientation started. Of course, that was a local job; I would have been a nervous wreck if the position was 10,000 miles away with such little contact!

:SushiBreakfast
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Definite red flag. I would contact the school directly - just call up the director and find out what the deal is.
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

Grumpy, school please
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

A bit too quick to judge. The director responded to a second email. HR has also been in touch.

Not as quick and attentive as I would prefer, but acceptable.
SAS

Post by SAS »

What country will y be in in SE Asia?
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Since I am basically whining about my school, I thought it best to not give too many specifics for obvious reasons, so I do not want to name the school. Things are looking much better though as far as channels of communications. I think there is a fine line to be walked between "pestering" the school and "firmly" insisting that you are reasonably kept in the loop. More will be revealed, but I can see them making an effort to do a better job at improving communications. I am going to Vietnam.
SAS

Post by SAS »

Grumpy,

I am going to VN too. Wonder if it is the same school? My school has been great to work with so far. I have been impressed. I will be in Saigon.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

When you accepted the position did you get a contract? At this stage assuming an August start, their isnt much to do except make sure that HR has your passport and other visa/permit documents.
However, professionals should act professionally and that includes keeping you updated, without intercession by administration. Professionals dont need to be poked to do their jobs. Admins shouldnt be making excuses either, they should ensure that the schools responsibilities get down, and any decent admin will have policies and procedures in place to ensure those actions get carried out without constant monitoring.
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

They have improved the quality of their communication. I will just say that Vietnam appears to be one of those country's really into red tape. I thought the US of A was pretty bad...
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

It depends on the school, RISS last year made offers to twice as many teachers to what they needed because they knew that any teacher who did some research would not turn up.

This year they have advertised many jobs that do not exist. When the teachers asked why jobs had been advertised when they were on a 2 year contract, they were told it was a contingency measure.

Be careful of any school in HCMC that makes you pay for flights.
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Thanks for the advice AnnieT... I do indeed have to pay for my flight, and get reimbursement once in Vietnam. This is standard procedure, I think. I have done it at my previous schools. I am not familiar with the school you mentioned, but that is a surprisingly negative approach for them to be taking! Is Vietnam not such a good place to be???
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Let me amend that! On airfare...Can either arrange it myself and get reimbursed or they can do it...I am given a choice. Sorry.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Vietnam has a pretty bad reputation overall. Way too many for profit schools with management focused admins. be careful of your school offering you a choice. Several teachers have been asked at the last minute when they choose to have the school pay for the flight for an "emergency" to come up and be asked to pay for the tickets themselves, with lots of assurances only to find out some technical aspect of the schools policy means they only get a partial reimbursement.