Laos v Myanmar

Laos v Myanmar

Post by 87654321 »

I'm looking at a move to SE Asia particularly Laos, Myanmar or perhaps Manilia.
I would very thankful for any information regarding the following:
- Laos VIS saving potential, I can't find any information of salary and benefits.
- Myanmar which is the best school? I know rents and electricity are going through the roof. Is it possible to save?

Or any schools in the area with over $1000 a month realistic savings potential. Single, top of scale
Eastern Seaboard Thailand?

Thanks do much
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

87654321, unless you are an IB trained teacher, you won't be going to VIS Laos - they are IB and don't have a lot of openings every year. Being a small IB school, they only hire IB trained teachers. Applied and was told that, plus heard same through friends who worked there in the past.

Myanmar, not much savings possibility except for at the top 1 or 2 schools, which again, don't usually have lots of openings. Plenty of openings at the lower ranked schools...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

VIS has hired people without IB in the past and trained them. Its not that common though, they are a very small school and generally dont have the staff to mentor a teacher without IB experience.

All the schools in Myanmar are third tier schools, of the bad apples MISY is the best (we actually had a discussion about it recently) you can find the post here:

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... php?t=3201

You cant really save a lot in either place, the money is just to low. You can get by as long as you stay in country, but once you leave your saving after conversion and cost of living are very small.

Post by 87654321 »

Thanks for your responses. I have a fair amount of IB training and experience however, the low pay is probably a stumbling point.

Does anyone know where the top entry scale amount is? $40000, $45000, $50000?

Thanks again
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Don't think you will find your salary range in Myanmar, but you'll have many more options. I think Laos would be great, but very limited choices for schools. None approaching the salary you are aiming to get. That likely won't be happening.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The best school in Yangon has entry with experience, of course, at one of those levels - but they don't often have lots of openings. They are IB, of course.
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

That's true....There is one school in Yangon that would provide that.