Getting my mom a teaching job in qatar

Fortesias

Getting my mom a teaching job in qatar

Post by Fortesias »

Hi All,

Does anyone know of any schools in qatar that will hire a teacher without a credential? She is sub qualified and has taught in a private school before. She is 58 so she is still below the 60 cutoff mark. I am going there in August (i got a job through search associates) so I would love for her to come along and assist me with my family.

Thanks!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Best bet is to bring her in on a residence visa, if possible (is your father alive, or are your parents divorced) citing you as her support. Once there, she could likely get work as a local hire (pay and benefits might not be the same). You would have to pay her flights if you did this, as your school won't bring your mom as a dependent.

Hope this helps!
inman

Post by inman »

As a full time employee with all benefits and visa stuff it would be very difficult, especially as I think there might be some difficulty in getting a visa for anyone over 60 (which she will soon be). However, why not get her over anyway and apply for work as a substitute in your school, or other schools nearby. There's plenty of work for substitute teachers. The pay won't be great, but it's some nice extra spending money if she's already well set up and would mostly be helping you take care of your family. You could probably get her in on your visa as a dependent.
Fortesias

Post by Fortesias »

Ok thank you both. That is very helpful. I have heard tutoring is quite lucrative there too which could be an option for her.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Tutoring does indeed pay well, and if you bring her over on a dependent visa then she should have no trouble tutoring, in at least ELL. What is her teaching field?

I would really advise talking to your school though and see what options they may have available for her at the school. Its not uncommon for a trailing spouse (this is different) to have a job/position created for them especially if the employed teacher is in a high demand subject.
Fortesias

Post by Fortesias »

Thanks Psyguy. I did try getting her on, but the school had a strict rule that you must be credentialed. She taught elementary and then was asst professor for a university. She has a double masters in asia pacific studies and an MBA. I know of a few schools that aren't as strict on credentialing now, so I will have her try those avenues first and then see if I can get a visa for her and do tutoring/subbing if that doesn't pan out. Thanks for your dedication on this site Psyguy!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

She could try Modern English School in Doha - nasty place but it's a job...
Fortesias

Post by Fortesias »

Thank you shadowjack!
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Fortesias, I'm pirating your thread. :)

How does one go about adding a parent as a dependent? My sister and I will both be living in the same region, and we'd really like to have Mom in our part of the world. We're not worried so much about a job, just a residence permit. Does anyone know of countries that wouldn't allow it? Does it depend on her age? Might it cause problems with our new school? She has a registered disability, if that makes a difference...
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi BookshelfAmy,

she is widowed/single/divorced? She has nobody back home to support her - siblings of yours? She won't be a burden on the system - has private insurance?

I would start searching the government sections of websites in the country you are moving to or that your sister is in (if it is a different country) and see what they say. Also talk to your school HR department, but wait until you are there and they see how much they want to keep you happy! :-)
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Thanks, shadowjack! We'll definitely take those things into consideration.
Fortesias

Post by Fortesias »

Hi all,

Just thought I would share and let everyone know that my mom job teaching in qatar! I am so thrilled that it worked out and she can come with me! Thanks for everyone's support! :)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Good to hear. Congrats to Mom!