UAE ID cards

inman

UAE ID cards

Post by inman »

Are all schools in the UAE still making teachers pay for their UAE ID card? The ID card policy was just coming in as I was leaving the UAE (about 2 years ago), but I've heard a few grumbling about it and wondered if any schools actually were paying for it, or if it was all on the teachers. You cannot work legally in the country without it, so surely it must come under visa/employment license expenses?
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

The schools I'm familiar with make teachers pay. But I was there during that awkward transition time where the government kept saying, "The deadline for ID cards is X date." And then when X date came, the government would push back the deadline by 6 months. This happened about 3 or 4 times, so people got really sick of playing that game. And those who got their cards right away were not happy they had because they spent all this money and never once needed to use the card. There are still places that require your passport and won't accept the national card. Maybe as time moves forward and the card actually becomes a necessity, not just a fee the government asks of people, schools will pay for it as part of the visa process.