Deleted

emilyhurd

Deleted

Post by emilyhurd »

Deleted
Last edited by emilyhurd on Fri May 10, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

It does seem rather cheeky to 'require' you to do it , then pass some of the cost onto you whilst employed by them (assuming I'm reading this correctly?)

That said, If you really want IB exp. and to be in Thailand then you have to balance these issues.

Personally I don't think it's a great start to begin a school peed off with having to pay for something that they should ultimately be fronting up. If it's who I think it is. WELL then it doesn't surprise me.

Good luck.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

Most pay, but if you have limited options would you turn the opportunity down because of this?

Are we talking about Wells? Wouldn't put it past them...
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

When I read the OP I immediately thought of Wells. IB workshops are about 350 pounds. Will you have to pay for the hotel/flight as well? I have never heard of a school doing this. Big red flag, but you could do worse in Bangkok.
inman

Post by inman »

Make something compulsory and yet you have to pay for it. This raises a BIG red flag, and most likely an indication of things to come. The kind of place that would try and pull this kind of thing probably doesn't pay well in the first place. If you're desperate for some IB experience and have nothing else lined up then you could just do it for 2 years and move on, taking your workshop experiences with you, but I would be very careful. I'd look into the school a bit first, and if there's even a sniff of trying to get out of paying for things, or trying to avoid paying people what they're owed, then don't go near it.
National

Post by National »

I'd also like to bring up another area of concern -- overlap in training.

There are not always clear divisions between category 1 and category 2 trainings. Last summer I did an online training in category 1. Another teacher at my school did the same course but category 2. At the start of the year we got together to discuss the training and plan the course. We quickly discovered that we had gotten the EXACT same training. The only differences were participants and facilitator. The materials, organization, and activities were identical.

For face-to-face trainings, you are often grouped together for category 1 and 2. My first IB training was a face-to-face conference and category 1 and 2 were grouped together. Other teachers at my school have reported the same experience at their workshops.

So, if your school is asking you to do the same course in both category 1 and 2, you might discover it is a total waste of your time and money because you are doing the same course twice.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

I agree that I wouldn't want to do a category 1&2 workshop in the same subject.

If it's your first workshop and you're new to IB then cat. 1 would be recommended as there should be some general IB background information as well as subject specific info. After that, and with some IB teaching experience I'd only be interested in cat. 2.

I've attended workshops for three different subjects and only the first was cat. 1.

I met some Wells staff at a workshop in BKK last year. Based on their info the packages were not particularly good, but better than say Heathfield.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Agree that the better schools wouldn't even think about pulling this. With that said, I don't think it is all that uncommon. Happened to me years ago at a job fair with a school in another asian country. The school wanted IB experienced teachers but was willing to consider those without it on the condition that they pay for their own training prior to starting. I would have considered it at that time because I really wanted to break into the IB (try getting an interview with a top school without IB - almost mission impossible)
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

Another thing to watch out for is the repayment terms for any training that the school pays for. Some schools will withhold wages at the end of your contract for any training they have paid for during that contract.
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

I'm sorry, who requires the training?

My experience is that IB training isn't 'required' by the IB since the school and PYP coordinator are thus 'accredited' by the program. The training by most schools is seen as a rotational practice to keep the school aware of best strategies as set by the governing body, the IB.

It just seems really odd that you need to take two courses?
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly or not. The school is willing to pay for Category 1 training? I suggest seeing their policy on PD. many schools will pay for PD only if you are going to stay an additional year. If you don't stay, then you need to repay all or part of the cost associated with training. Now, if that IS NOT the case - you don't lose out if you don't stay an additional year- I say go, get the Cat 1. Don't pay out of pocket for Cat 2. Either the school will waive it (especially if you're a good teacher), or they will not renew your contract. If they don't renew, you are now IB trained and more marketable for your next posting.

CAVEAT: I don't know the school you refer to. Even though I lived and taught in Thailand, I don't know the reputation of Wells. Heed warnings of other posters that there may be other issues with a perspective school.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

[quote="Open Communication"]The unfortunate thing about having to take those IB courses is that they are going to be crap. I've taken a few. They were all crap. All I got out of them that was useful (debatable actually) were the certificates of attendance.[/quote]

Not really true. I've been on two IB courses and both were great. I think it depends on who is running the course.
emilyhurd

Post by emilyhurd »

Deleted
Last edited by emilyhurd on Fri May 10, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The best thing about any IB workshop is the other teachers. Get in with them, and wait to share a ton of resources and conversations about best teaching practice etc.

As for the school...beggars can´t be choosers, I´m afraid. Two years IB experience + that IB training will make you much more attractive to IB schools. If you like how the Head has been, then it might be an ideal way to get into IB schools. If not...well, sometimes you just got to suck it up so you can move on to bigger and brighter things in the future.