How accurate are salary expectations on Search?

emilyhurd

How accurate are salary expectations on Search?

Post by emilyhurd »

Do the Salary Expectations on Search reflect a solid offer or do they reflect the highest salary bracket for a teacher at a school for a number of years? Do you think I should plan on negotiating with a school to meet the quoted salary expectation? I know that's a difficult question to answer since each situation is so different.
expatteacher99

Post by expatteacher99 »

I don't know what the general trend is like, but I know that for my two most recent schools, one's salary was overestimated by quite a bit on Search/ISS, and one's was underestimated by quite a bit. I think that those numbers are approximate and may depend on a lot of factors.

I'm not an admin, so this is just a guess - but I don't think many schools would be willing to negotiate with you because of the numbers listed on Search. Sure, maybe they negotiate, but I don't think that "Well, Search said XX,XXX dollars" would give you much of an argument that would sway. But maybe I'm completely wrong, so if you do try it, please let us know how it goes!
emilyhurd

Post by emilyhurd »

Thanks.
I wouldn't actually use that as bargaining power for negotiating a higher salary. It's good to knowledge to have, though.
indogal

Post by indogal »

I completely agree with expatteacher99. The salary expectations listed for my school in Southeast Asia were underestimated. Now that I am in South America, those were greatly overestimated. I think a big factor is also if you are going to be paid in US dollars or local currency, which can fluctuate against the dollar.
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

I think the problem with Search is that they ask schools to state an expected salary with 8 years experience and an MA. All 6 International schools that I have worked for have had a different salary scale. Some have had a 15 point starting scale with no extra money for an MA. Some have paid more if you have an MA and some have only paid extra if the MA was directly applicable to the job you had applied for.

when I have been recruiting I have often had to offer Maths and Physics teachers more and made it up by paying PE and English teachers less.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

My husband exactly fits the "BA and 4 years" description. The salary on his contract ended up being lower than what's estimated on Search. However, the housing, retirement, and other allowances bump it up to quite a bit higher than the estimate. So the salary seemed really low at first, and then we realized that almost all of our expenses would be covered, leaving the entire salary as disposable income.

I am curious about the discrepancy, though. Does anyone have experience with schools whose salaries depend on your tax status? Mr. Bookshelf and I are going to be paid tax-free, but not everyone who works at our school is. I seem to remember reading that some schools pay more to teachers who owe taxes in-country.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

There is this whole currency exchange thing. Most schools tend to fix salaries in local currency, hence vary with time. Search states salaries in USD. Schools are also lazy to change their search profile...probably.

A certain school I have learned to hate pays in local currency, but states an overly inflated salary in USD based on an old old exchange rate.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

I've been teachin internationally for almost 15 years. The package info on every school I have worked at has been innacurate. This is also the case for the school we'll be joining in August (after seeing the contract and signing).

I was told by Search that this is the school's responsibility. Doesn't make much sense to me...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

It greatly depends on the school and many other factors. First, schools are responsible for filling out their profile including their salary. It is also up to a school to do this when they change their salary scale. Some schools are better at this then others, and some schools are pretty bad about it.
Second, currency exchange rates change, and at any one time their are 4 different exchange rates (the interbank rate, credit rate, cash rate, and street rate). Using a poor exchange rate is not in a schools interest.
Third, you really have only 2 points reported on a scale (BA +4 years, and MA +8 years), it can be very difficult to extrapolate a salary for any other point.
Fourth, some schools have a "closed" salary scale and policy.They dont publish their salary scale, and some even negotiate each contract separately, for typically the lowest they can get a teacher to sign. This is the counter to an "open" salary scale where specific steps (based on experience and qualifications) correspond to a specific salary, however even these dont always publish their full salary scale. What becoming more common this year is "salary banding", meaning that instead of a fixed number (salary) for a given step their is a range of salaries, that are left to the admins discretion what salary to offer a candidate. For instance in the past a MA +8 years may have been step 10 worth $40K with banding step 10 may have a band of $38.5K-$41.5K.

The SA salary figures are really only helpful in determining the range and average salaries in a given location and region. If there are 5 schools in a region at the BA +4 years with salaries of: $22K, $25K, $26K, $30K, and $31K, then the range is $22K-$31K with an average of $26,800, more then that and your getting paid above market, less then that and your under market value.

Its always to your benefit to make the first offer in regards to salary, and starting off with the quoted SA figure is a good anchor point, but you cant say "Your SA page says this, and I meet those qualifications, so I want that", thats going to be a short conversation, and puts the recruiter on the defensive. Most recruiters already know their salary scale is different then whats reported on SA, and they have prepared responses for them as well, which typically involve "recent changes/updates".
When a school has an "open" salary scale its very difficult to negotiate more then what you offer. if you have X degree and Y years and that equals $35K, then its $35K, you cant really argue that your last job gave you Z money, or you want Z money. They will just say "sorry, maybe this isnt the right fit". What you can do, is present factors outside of degree and years, and equate those extras in your CV into steps. For example, if you have a dual degree you can present that as extra value (steps) the same for multiple certifications, or specialized experience (or most likely a combination of them). When you frame them in business terms the school and recruiter can work with on their scale, candidates are much more successful then pitting demands and wills against each other. Understand though that to negotiate you have to be prepared to accept the C/I (Consequences of Impasse), meaning you have to know and be willing to walk away from the table.