SMIC Shanghai

Roberto

SMIC Shanghai

Post by Roberto »

Any word on this school??
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

It's a company school for an international semi-conductor company. There is a Chinese language track and an English language track. A decent proportion of English track were high level English language learners. Don't know about current situation. They use the school as a recruiting tool for their international employees, "yes, we have a great school for your child to attend." It was poorly resourced and had really bad pay with very corporate orientation and very few experienced teachers. The company and also the school is run by Christians though they're not open about it on their website. That could be part of their selection process. it's run more like a Chinese local school or a Taiwanese school than a North American school.

If you're willing to keep your head down and put in your two years, you can then move on to a decent international school where you'll be paid at a decent amount. I wouldn't go there unless I was desperate or inexperienced.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I cant add much more then eion_padraig. Its a third tier school, and even then its not going to help you much in getting a better position, since they dont have IB. They use an american curriculum and have AP. Youd probably be able to move up after working here but going for tier 3 to tier 2 isnt that big of a leap, unless you have little experience to start out with. Housing is very basic, and classroom resources are minimal. Admin are actually pretty detached from their teachers, they give you orders, they expect you to follow them. There is little input and collaboration. Its only slightly better then working at a language school or bilingual school.