KAUST application process - background checks?

Nomad68

KAUST application process - background checks?

Post by Nomad68 »

Getting a job at KAUST seems like an olympic struggle, 3 interviews so far and references taken and still not even a provisional offer. I was forewarned of background checks. Nothing to worry about - no criminal misdemeanors or anything but how deepdo these guys go and what are they actually looking for. I repeat, I have nothing to hide (I hope!) but why all the hurdles? It must be self-defeating, at this stage of the year both sides want a quick resolution so they can complete the process or move on. At this rate I may end up accepting another offer elsewhere rather than risk chasing the KAUST package to see it vanish if the application stumbles.
cdn

Post by cdn »

I can't speak for them, but I know that my wife and I had one interview and a quick chat with HR before being offered contracts. We were at a fair, though. Since you aren't at a fair, they may be weighing all of their options. I know they did some hiring at the Dubai fair too, so maybe they are waiting on other candidates.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

There are a lot of hoops to jump through to come to Saudi. It is not the easiest country in the world to get into (or out of!), but IMHO, it is one of the more interesting countries out there that isn't chasing that western dream, but which actually has a lot of western influence. You can definitely feel a change in the air if you have been here a few years. I hope King Abdullah lives a good long time!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The rule is when a school wants you, they act like they want you. Youre just not their top pick. The interviews are just a way to keep you on the line. Yes there are hurdles to getting a teacher into the country and the classroom, but they are nothing thats solvable by interviews.

They do an online background check, using a third . data aggregator. It takes about a day at most, but most people its less then an hour (assuming there is nothing to follow up on).

Its common to offer a candidate a contract with various exit clauses, that cover ministry and immigration issues relating to a teacher permit and visa. They arent offering you one because they are either looking for someone better, or have other candidates they are waiting to hear back from.