Advice about Europe/UAE

apovivi

Advice about Europe/UAE

Post by apovivi »

Hello! I’ve read many threads published on the forum regarding teaching overseas and ME particularly. I have some questions to ask and I’d really appreciate your piece of advice.
First of all, my husband and I are a teaching couple. I am a Physics/ICT teacher. My husband’s been teaching ICT and middle school Maths. We have been teaching for more than ten years in Greece. We’ve also been awarded QTS. Unfortunately, we have no previous international teaching experience. We decided to start our international teaching career and that’s why I ask for your advice.

1) We’ve been travelling a lot through Europe, so the first thing that comes naturally to us is making our new steps in a European country. But how easy would be for us to find a teaching job in an international school out there? Are we strong candidates for such positions?

2) We are seriously considering working in ME (UAE/ Oman). Oman sounds a good place to start. What are the best schools in Oman? What are those we should avoid? We’ve never been to Oman so we don’t have any idea about the way of living / working. How about the salaries and the allowances?

3) I’ve read that most of the vacancies in European international/IB school will appear in April/May and the majority of ME vacancies will have been filled by then. Do you think we could find any vacancy available in Oman or UAE after April/May? And of course what kind of schools will recruit during spring/summer and what should we bear in mind as this will be our first international job?

Thank you for your time and consideration! Your advice and suggestions would be priceless to us!
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

I'm guessing English is not your mother tongue? That would definitely put you at a disadvantage in many Asian countries, especially China.

I taught in Kuwait and it would put you at a disadvantage there as well but not as great a disadvantage as in China.

I also taught in Spain and Portugal and in both those countries, they had quite a few non-native English speaking teachers but they were 2nd tier schools.
apovivi

Post by apovivi »

Thank you for your responses!
We are EU citizens and non native English speakers.
Any advice / tip is welcome :)
National

Post by National »

[quote="Pippafrit"] For Europe you would need to be EU citizens for most schools to hire you. [/quote]

I have to disagree with this. It may be helpful in some schools, but I didn't come across very many European schools that had this as a strict requirement for employment. In fact, in London I interviewed with Zurich, Amsterdam, and a school in Germany and none of them required EU citizenship to get the job.

I think for some countries it might be more vital than others, but it is definitely not a requirement for most. Some might say that you are on your own for getting a work visa and therefore they prefer EU passport holders.

I am sure it is an advantage for many EU schools, but not being a native English speaker (as the OP is) might negate the EU citizenship advantage.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You have the same dreams as many new ITs, and its very uncommon for new teachers to walk into a school in europe. Unless you have IB experience most of them wont even look at you.

There will still be vacancies in the ME in May, the ME is always recruiting. Most EU schools dont really know who is leaving until about 30-60 days before the end of the year due to union and labor regulations.

Having EU passports will DEFINATLEY help you, especially at the 2nd tier schools, as most of them cant or wont be able to get you a work visa. the top tier schools are a different issue, they pretty much can and do hire whoever they want.

Being non native english speakers is going to be the biggest challenge for you, it depends how fluent you are. Regardless its going to be up to you to demonstrate your english fluency, and their will be schools that will never give you a chance (interview) to do so.

Youve been teaching in Greece for 10 years and while from your POV thats not international experience, to the vast majority of ISs thats international experience. The deciding difference is going to depend on whether you taught in a municipal (public) school or an independent (private) school.