Finding a job in SE Asia (particularly Bangkok)

Colin

Finding a job in SE Asia (particularly Bangkok)

Post by Colin »

Hello everyone! I have a few questions about finding employment in SE Asia (particularly Bangkok).

First, a little about my background....I have been teaching for 8 years, I have a Master's in School Administration, my first seven years were teaching in the states and I am currently in year one of a two year contract at an American school in Latin America.

I would like to start applying to schools in Bangkok next year (for the 2014-2015 school year). What are my chances of landing at a Tier 1 or 2 school? What about job fairs? Is a fair the best way to go? I was hired at my current job after applying directly to the school and completing a couple of Skype interviews. Would leaving my current school after the initial two year contract be looked at negatively, or should I stay here 3 or 4 years before trying to move on.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I enjoy my current job but my dream destination has always been Bangkok....though I would also be interested in schools in Cambodia or Laos as well.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

What are you applying for? Teacher or administrator? Do you have any IB experience?

Thailand is one of the most competitive countries for IT jobs. These schools get hundreds of CVs per week, and many of them hire exclusively from job fairs.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I am looking for a teaching position...not administrator. No, I don't have any IB experience yet.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

As BKK is so competitive, it may depend on your subject fields, dependents (the extra costs of hiring you) and IB, or lack of, experience; boiling down to the question, are you an attractive candidate for a school?

Laos has only one IS that I know of, and that is IB, Cambodia, a few more.

What curriculum do you have experience teaching in?
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Without IB you have zero chance of getting into a tier 1. Tier 2 very unlikely unless you are very lucky.
danny514

Post by danny514 »

Since you're based in South America, its going to be next to impossible to attend the Bangkok Search Fair. Tier 1 and Tier 2 schools in Bangkok will get heaps of e-mailed applicants for each position, and without IB experience your application probably won't be at the top of anyone's list. You could always get lucky - a position in your field might open up late in the hiring season, for example, giving you a better shot - but this is far from certain.

Two options worth considering -

1. Research some of the less prestigious schools in Bangkok, where your chances will be slightly better - TCIS and the American School of Bangkok are both reasonable American curriculum options. You could even look into Thai bilingual schools (such as Amnuay Silpa) which hire foreign teachers (but pay less than most international schools). Downsides - working at a less prestigious school won't enhance your CV that much.

2. Cast your net a bit wider, and find an IB position. With 8 years of teaching and international experience, I think your chances of getting into an IB school are pretty solid. China, Vietnam and Indonesia all seem to offer a fair number of IB teaching jobs. With IB experience under your belt, you'll be far more competitive for a top school in Bangkok a few years down the road.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

The school in Lao is IB, and both of the real international schools in Cambodia are IB. I know a parent at the Lao school and it's generally known as an excellent place - but as mentioned, with zero IB experience your CV will go deep into the pile.

Bangkok will be even harder than Lao or Cambodia because it's a sought after destination. I would not recommend that you lower your standards just to get to Bangkok. There are some downright scary places to work there masquerading as international schools that are anything but. If a place has all local hires, runs the Thai curriculum, or has Thai principals that you have to report to, run away as fast as you can.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks for the information. One poster mentioned possible looking into Vietnam. I hadn't really thought about that, but its seems interesting. Any recommendations for schools there that I should look into?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

What do you teach? Thats a pretty focused job target you have. Their are a number of schools in bangkok, but the ones your going to want to work for are going to require more, specifically in the way of international curriculum, especially IB.

Your chances arent zero, but they are going to be pretty close to zero for a tier 1 school. A tier 2 school is doable. IB experience is important for IB schools but there are a number of British and American schools that run those curriculums, and with 8 years experience you will be more competitive then most entry level teachers. You would greatly improve your chances if you were more open to Thailand, as a whole and not just Bangkok.

You dont have to resort to Vietnam to be close to Bangkok. Their is really only one tier 1 school in Vietnam, the UN School in Hanoi. The British school (BIS) and is a good solid tier 1 schools in Vietnam as well. Everywhere else has issues.

Unless your living in Thailand or in bangkok, your probably going to be unhappy with only being able to go their over holidays and breaks.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I am certified to teach Early Childhood - Grade 4. Most of my experience is in Grade 4, but I have also taught Kindergarten and Grade 3 in the past. It's not that I am set on Bangkok only, but I have spent time there in the past and enjoyed the city. I am open to other possibilities in the area. My main concern is trying to find something in the region without going to the Bangkok Fair. As another poster mentioned, it will be next to impossible for me to attend that fair while working in Latin America. The time and costs of getting there just aren't practical.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

If you're going to mention Saigon Pearl as a solid tier two school, then you might as well throw in ISHCMC and American Academy. All three schools are run by the same company and managed by the same people.

I think it might be hard to find something really *good* without going to the Bangkok fair, but not impossible. But all the major schools and plenty of the tier two schools (I don't really subscribe to an elaborate, multi-tiered system, but others do, so here you go) were all in attendance, and then most appear in Cambridge as well. So you could always try Cambridge.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

If its Thailand or bust consider an ESL school or one of the Bilingual schools. The school year starts in May, but their are always vacancies, then when your their start looking for local ISs and of course attend the BK fair in January. Your masters and admin certificate may even land you a DOS position.

A primary teacher is going to be a tough sell as a single teacher, a tier one school without IB isnt going to happen and a tier 2 school is going to be harder without a direct interview. Most of the schools you will want to be at will finish recruiting before the BOS fair.
danny514

Post by danny514 »

I wouldn't recommend going the ESL route. First of all, pay is terrible. Secondly, many ESL schools are poorly run and care little about education. Finally, teaching English in Bangkok has a fair bit of stigma attached - since many so called English teachers are sexpats or backpackers looking to extend their vacation. Good schools in BKK might question why you are teaching ESL when you are qualified to be in an international school.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

If the goal is teaching in Thailand and its that at all costs, and an IS doesnt contract you, in education that only leaves you with the Bilingual/ELL options.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

And then your teaching at an ESL school is sort of a kiss of death for where you want to be, which is at a good IS in Bangkok?