Finding a job in SE Asia (particularly Bangkok)

Colin

Post by Colin »

I would like to be in Bangkok but definitely open to other countries in the area. If I need to explore other options in the region then shoot for Thailand at some point a few years down the road, that's fine. I'm not interested in ESL.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Colin

Understandable, and good to hear you have reasonable expectations and flexibility.
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

What's so great about Bangkok anyway? I really fail to understand the attraction.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

^ I lived there for 4 years. It's by far the best place I have lived because of the sheer convenience of everything. There are atms and 7-11s on every street. Changing / sending money is a breeze, as is opening a bank account. It's a very international city, so there are many types of cuisine available. It's also very cheap to live. The people are very friendly and wear smiles on their faces, so it's a very pleasant environment. Budget airlines make domestic and international travel very cheap and easy. The subway/skytrain make traveling within the city easy as well.

You really can't say any other city offers so much (especially in China).
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

Have to agree.

Extremely convenient, good value for money, wonderful lifestyle for expats.
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

I occur. If it weren't for the air pollution and the impact on my allergies, I would have stayed in Bangkok.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

I've accepted a job in BKK starting this summer, so I'm pleased to be returning.

Good luck to all those starting new jobs this summer and even more luck to those still hunting!
Last edited by Mr.C4ke on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Air pollution in Bangkok has improved a lot. Not nearly as bad as its reputation, and there are far worse polluted cities in the region. Ever been to Jakarta, Delhi, HCMC, any major Chinese city, or even Chiang Mai or Rayong in Thailand? Way worse air pollution than BKK.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@tangchao

In addition to the previous comments (LOW cost of living, and Convenience), its the entertainment/social opportunities as well. You could easily spend a year visiting Wats or spend every night socializing and hot a new place everyday, and when that gets tiring there are a number of secret and semi secret beach and weekend parties all over LOS. Vice is cheap, and the culture is very "open and forgiving" of indiscretion. For a guy the local population can be very, very, very friendly and accommodating.

I do have to say though that in argument, factors like relaiability and cost of transportation and availability and cost of imported and western goods isnt a convincing argument, since these traits are shared by a number of Asian countries, including Japan, S.Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.