Canadian International School Singapore

PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@mbovi

My experiences are incongruent with your experiences.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

Yes, that's why you can disagree without making your disagreement sound like a fact or the " truth " : Something that you have done all these years to sway people / newbies. Shame on you.
writer

Post by writer »

Mbovi- I, too, will be working at CIS at the top of the salary scale,which is about 79,000 sg dollars....this equals about 63,000 usd.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

@ writer : I declined the offer. I recently got an offer at ASIJ in Tokyo just a couple of days ago. I do know a few teachers from Tokyo though who are very keen on getting the CIS positions.
Walter

I'm sorry, you can't be right

Post by Walter »

I have just consulted the oracle and he says in regard to ASIJ:

"They have gone years without recruiting anyone. A couple part time positions usually pop up over the year, but they dont come with any sort of package, other then a wage and you have to already have a visa in Japan."
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Walter

"Years" refers to cumulative years, not consecutive years.
AnnieT

Re: Comment

Post by AnnieT »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@Walter

"Years" refers to cumulative years, not consecutive years.[/quote]

SSMT......
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

[quote="mbovi"]Thank you, lifeisnotsobad.

I just ignore Psyguy actually. It's quite funny how artful he is at concocting stories or egging people on with disagreements. It doesn't take much to figure out that he's probably an unemployed educator who sits at home all day, reads the forums, reviews, internet material and artfully constructs it together to put it on here as " fact ", thus, providing self-affirmation that he still matters in the profession....because there's a mental disorder that lies behind the obssessive compulsive need to comment fanatically at EVERYTHING.

It's sad really. One has to wonder what type of mental disorder he might actually have. It's actually fascinating. I mean, after all, the moderators have kept him on here for so long. He must be a cause of entertainment. It's like, " Hey, look what kind of fantastical crap Psyguy has come up again ( guffawing ) ".

What's seriously troubling is this though : There are many newbies who go on here who would take his advice or " knowledge ". For us "old" international educators bounding around the world, we laugh at him. But for the bright-eyed newbies...I fear the worst.[/quote]

Agreed whole heartedly!
vandsmith

Re: Canadian International School Singapore

Post by vandsmith »

hi all,

my wife and i are very interested in CIS. on search it lists beginning salary as 59000 singapore dollars as starting salary, with housing about 20000 (USD) and flights home annually about 1200USD.

is this accurate at this time? the flight allowance seems a little low to me...
i'm assuming that housing figure above is for 1 teacher - correct? a quick look at propertyguru it seems like we should be able to get a fairly decent place...

does anybody that actually work there, or have recent experience care to comment?

thanks in advance.

v.
National

Re: Canadian International School Singapore

Post by National »

I haven't worked at CIS, but I have worked at another international school in Singapore. I can't comment on the working conditions at CIS, but I can comment on the amounts listed in relation to costs in Singapore.

59,000 SGD seems a bit low, but it would definitely cover cost of living if there are two salaries. With the way my partner and I lived while in Singapore, we would have been able to live off one of those salaries and save the other, but we don't have children, a car, and we limited how much we went out to restaurants. The housing amount is quite low if it is for both of you. If both were to get the housing allowance, you could find a nice place, but if it is for the both of you, you won't find much for 2000SGD/month. It would depend on your needs -- you could probably get a small one-bedroom place, but two or more bedroom condos would be probably another S$1000/month. The flight home allowance is low and probably wouldn't cover a whole ticket, but the fact that they offer it every year is a plus. Most schools offer closer to 3000USD, but only give it ever other year.

I've known teachers from CIS and they didn't complain too much, but alot of them I knew because they started at CIS and then moved to another school with a better package. I wouldn't rule it out, but I would be aware of the costs associated with Singapore.