Canadian International School (CIS) - Vietnam

Whatnow

Post by Whatnow »

ISHCMC et. al. is moving in a different direction, but what that is anyone's guess as the entire leadership is changing, and there will be many new teachers. Rumours abound, and given the uncertainty it would probably be wise to hold off on that teaching scenario until things settle. Do the research, and check out other school reviews owned by the same company. BVIS probably is ok, the Vietnamese students are generally great to teach, and you may be able to move into BIS later on. ACG is going through many changes, too, and the jury is out on that school at the moment.
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

[quote="PermanentXpat"]Annie T, don't know where you got your information from about Cognita having anything to do with SSIS, but it's false. Time will bear this out.[/quote]

I got the information from a senior member of staff at the school, PMH started the school as a loss-leader to attract people to live there, now that it has served that purpose it will have to start making a profit.

I have heard the quote about it not being a profit centre many times, how long do you think it can remain losing money?

I do hope that you are right, time will tell.
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

I just picked up the phone and talked to a friend in HCMC.

I stand by what I said about Cognita. I also hear that CIS have gone down the second school route. CISV or CVIS is a new school that is mopping up student who have money but no English.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

After reading these posts, I think there is a bit of confusion regarding COGNITA and which schools they own in Saigon.

Saigon South International School is owned by the Phu My Hung Corporation and have nothing to do with COGNITA.

International School Ho Chi Minh City is owned by COGNITA and has been completely destroyed by the company. There were once the leading educational institution in the city. Now they are very near third tier status (management going back on their word, teachers walking out, zero transparency, unreasonable teaching loads, cut backs on resources, etc).

International School Saigon Pearl is also owned by COGNITA. It is a third tier primary school.

Cheers.
PermanentXpat

Post by PermanentXpat »

Maybe that is the confusion. SSIS has NO connection to Cognita.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sevarem

I wouldnt put ISHCMC in the second tier, they are definatley a third tier school.
aisha

Post by aisha »

This is what I have been told. I have not worked at either school. BIS and BVIS are owned by the same people. BIS follows the British Curriculum and students speak English very well. BVIS is a school for Vietnamese and also follows the British Curriculum but there will probably be many ESL students there.

The pay and benefits are the same for both schools. Having taught Vietnamese students in the past, I will say that they are the nicest students I have ever taught. I would guess that the teaching would be more focused on getting the English skills up to standard but I don't think the workload would be that heavy in BVIS. Vietnamese students work very hard and really want to learn. Actually teaching Vietnamese kids helped me learn a lot about Vietnamese culture. Some of the students had language problems but the standard of work was still very high.