Are they just not into us? Or?

johnp

Are they just not into us? Or?

Post by johnp »

My wife and I interviewed at a school in Germany two weeks ago. We thought it went very well. We were told a decision would be made in 2 days. It was not, but we emailed and were told in ANOTHER 2 days we would know. Nothing. We thought that meant we had not got the positions, but the school called us on Friday to say we would find out "next week".

Is this normal in the IS world? My wife thinks this means the school is "just not that into" us. Thoughts? We have only been at one other international school, and we got this job two years ago at a fair-a very different process.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Are they just not into us? Or?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="johnp"]My wife and I interviewed at a school in Germany two weeks ago. We thought it went very well. We were told a decision would be made in 2 days. It was not, but we emailed and were told in ANOTHER 2 days we would know. Nothing. We thought that meant we had not got the positions, but the school called us on Friday to say we would find out "next week".

Is this normal in the IS world? My wife thinks this means the school is "just not that into" us. Thoughts? We have only been at one other international school, and we got this job two years ago at a fair-a very different process.[/quote]
--------------------------------
It could mean almost anything. It SOUNDS like they may have other candidates and are waiting for them to make their decision first. It could also mean that the positions are not 100% definite. Or....

There is just no way of knoing. Keep in contact, stay polite and professional and hope for the best. And, keep pursuin all other options.

Hang in there. Many of us have been in similar situations. It always works out. Just sometimes not like you think it might.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I would concur with wrldtrvlr123. That pattern is typival of a school thats waiting for replys from other candidates its made offers too. Its not congruent with a position they dont know is available yet, 2 days, then 2 days, then a week. They dont "clear" a position that fast even under optimistic conditions. Simply because they would have to post it to local German, then, EU teachers first, then get approval from the union, etc. Its not something you can do in 48 hours.

They are into you, your just not their first choice, and probably not their second choice either.