Dubai Fair?

shadowjack

Dubai Fair?

Post by shadowjack »

Any news from the Dubai fair? Keep the circle rolling!
junglegym

Post by junglegym »

Yes, please! I'm really curious to hear about the later fairs! Shadowjack, you started something great!
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Do we even "know" anyone going?

:-)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Nope - but I am hoping someone posts about it - gives us all insight into the different fairs, which is a good thing!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Its a dump fair, and the only candidates that go to it are the ones who get sold by their associate on the fair (small minority). Its mostly teachers already there and just looking to trade up, and shuffle over to another, better school locally.
cdn

Post by cdn »

I know some people going, so I can give some info when I talk to them after the fair. From what I have been told by an admin, it isn't a great fair unless you want to work a a 2nd or 3rd tier (as he said) ME school. He told me that the big schools over here have usually already done the bulk of their hires. Just what I've heard.
inman

Post by inman »

I asked about the Dubai fair on here a while ago but only got a couple of responses. However, I've since found that quite a few people I work with in Qatar have been to the fair before, an a couple of my old colleagues from Abu Dhabi. They've spoken positively about it. From conversations with people that have been, my impressions are as follows:

Almost all the schools are from the ME (as to be expected)

Almost all candidates are already in the ME and are looking to move somewhere else in the ME

The best schools have tied up vacancies at other fairs and are only there to fill left over spots, or spots where people have backed out

Even with just a little experience, you can interview to your hearts content with second and third tier schools, especially those in less desirable parts of the ME (1 of my friends had 9 interviews and got 4 offers, and that was with just 2 years experience in a UK Int'l school)

For most, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha are their first choice destinations, so get those interviews set up as quickly as you can
inman

Post by inman »

I asked about the Dubai fair on here a while ago but only got a couple of responses. However, I've since found that quite a few people I work with in Qatar have been to the fair before, an a couple of my old colleagues from Abu Dhabi. They've spoken positively about it. From conversations with people that have been, my impressions are as follows:

Almost all the schools are from the ME (as to be expected)

Almost all candidates are already in the ME and are looking to move somewhere else in the ME

The best schools have tied up vacancies at other fairs and are only there to fill left over spots, or spots where people have backed out

Even with just a little experience, you can interview to your hearts content with second and third tier schools, especially those in less desirable parts of the ME (1 of my friends had 9 interviews and got 4 offers, and that was with just 2 years experience in a UK Int'l school)

For most, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha are their first choice destinations, so get those interviews set up as quickly as you can
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

RISS from Vietnam are there, they are trying to replace most of the staff from the whole school. As earlier posters said, this is a fair for the Bottom feeders

Many Heads like the Dubai fair as it is the only one that is held in a hotel that also contains a whorehouse.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

BUMP - NOBODY from Dubai to give us an account of the fair? Really?
cdn

Post by cdn »

I've talked to one person and she gave a good account . She went in knowing what she wanted and where she wanted to go, and she came away with a post she's pumped for. Very low key from what she says.

Not exactly first hand information coming from me, so apologies there. My wife and I would have gone to this fair if we hadn't been so fortunate in London.
Q8Sobieski

Post by Q8Sobieski »

There were lots of ME schools and ME people looking to just move around. But the hotel was nice if totally over-priced. I found schools very motivated to fill slots and I had two firm offers and a couple others I should have followed up more on but didn't bother.