MISY Myanmar international school of Yangon

Asiawanderer

MISY Myanmar international school of Yangon

Post by Asiawanderer »

Hello folks

Anyone know anything about this school? It seems to be quite new and also not to be muddled up with the International School of Yangon. Also what's Myanmar like to love in and how's life in Myanmar changed recently? Thanks!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Third tier, hole school. Its probably the best school in Myanmar, but this is Myanmar were talking about, which is the only thing worse then the school. The people with experience there say the school has all the ego of a top chinese school while performing like a bottom tier school. The school is extremely under resourced, and admin has a iron fisted grip on the budget. Dont count on getting anything more then you have.
The package is okay for the area (but again this is Mynanmar) its pretty pathetic when you compare it to other asian compensation packages. The health plan is really scary. The school had an insurance plan that basically the local hospital would not accept. She had to put a fractured ankle on a credit card, which they couldnt do, and ended up having to get an ATM cash advance on her credit card to pay the hospital. It wasnt a huge expense (about $400) but it was scary if something really major happened.
The housing was basic, and a lot like government housing. Concrete walls, and basic furniture and appliances. They had amazing television though from a modified satallite feed that got all lot of american channels. Which was another huge problem, since the government has VERY strong controls on the media, even worse then Chinas. Forget social networking and even a lot of basic news. The apartments didnt have internet though, and must people made do with their phones and using the computers at the school.
The kids are great though, very highly motivated and eager to learn. The parents were very respectful and proud of their students teachers.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asiawanderer

Post by Asiawanderer »

Great thanks Psyguy. I'm intrigued by Myanmar personally so if that's the best school there then it seems like a good bet as a place to start. Anyone else have any experience of it or recently living in Myanmar? Cheers
joethelion

Post by joethelion »

PsyGuy---

You are sooooooooooooooooooooooo far behind the times here. I've been in Myanmar for almost eight years. Internet used to be heavily censored. it is NOT AT ALL anymore. You get complete (and increasingly fast) access to all website. Anti-government newspapers publish openly in print form. (Do you not even read the newspapers? I am amazed that you pass on such wrong info with so much confidence and certainty.)

I think you confuse MISY with a couple of other schools. The main ones in town:

ISY--embassy connected. Real international school with long history. Many don't like the current director, but is still a good pay and lots of resources.

ISM--about ten or fifteen years old. Very profitable. Was almost good a few years ago. But terrible director and owners. Most teachers stay two years and some leave mid year.

YIS--smaller and better resource that ISM. Owner is a military friend who makes his money other places. Very conservative socially. Probably least messed up school.

Horizon--part of the Islamist Gulen Movement. Scary.

MIS & MISY--used to be one school, but owners had a fight. I don't know either, but have many friends at MIS. They say elementary is okay, but the upper school is a total mess or kind of just a testing center. Owners might be the greediest in town.

I don't know about MISY, but it's also local, for-profit and I never hear anyone call it "best" anything especially "best school in Myanmar". It is small and is only maybe three year old. But I don't know anyone there. Search say they pay $26,000 a year w/$500 a month housing. Impossible these days. Maybe you cover expenses, but probably not, so "package is not okay".

Yangon was once great place to live. But the opening means terrible traffic and housing prices incredibly high. Houses are going for $2,000 or $3,000 or $4,000 a month and even apartments can cost at least $1,000.

Still, I love this country and the (non-rich) people, so I stay. But I am also not working in schools now, so I don't have to put up with the bad ownerships.
Canada11

Post by Canada11 »

I can't comment on the schools in Myanmar, but I have recently visited the country and absolutely loved it! If you are looking for a cool teaching experience and you don't care about whether or not a school is tier one or tier three, I'd teach in Myanmar in a heart beat. The people are beautiful, kind and polite. The country has lots to offer tourists... Bagan (thousands of temples), Inle Lake, beaches, hiking! The country is progressing and just getting better and better.
Asiawanderer

Post by Asiawanderer »

Thanks a lot for the the further info. Really interesting. So on that package it seems I will actually be losing money year on year?? Shoot! Myanmar might be awesome but thats a lot to pay when Bangkok will pay 50000 dollars upwards... That's gonna make it hard. So anyone out there actually know MISY?? Is it bad form to try and negotiate the salary up?! Cheers
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

I would find the need to leave the country every 2 months because of work permit restrictions a PITA too!
joethelion

Post by joethelion »

Asiawanderer--

I don't know if you'd lose money or not. But it is possible.

Just re-reading PsyGuy and your response to him--it needs to be clear that absolutely no one has ever referred to MISY as "the best school in Myanmar". No one. He made that up entirely. I don't know much about it, so I can't tell you if it's better/worse than MIS or ISM or whatever. But it is a start-up, for-profit place and that's the rep.

Yes, Myanmar has a leave every 70 days visa policy. That might be changing soon, but you should find out if that's true and if the school pays for it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes there are actually a lot of people that describe MISY as the best school in town, this is with the big caveat that its Myanmar after all. We are just going to have to disagree.

Whats your definition of SOOOOOOOOOOOO far behind the time? Mynamar just changed their censorship policies back in August of 2012, thats 6 months ago. Are you some tween where anything longer then a few weeks is forever?

No I dont read print newspapers, I have Apps for those.
Theres nothing amazing about it, the vast majority of the data is true. Thanks for the correction regarding censorship.

If you read, you would see that the package at MISY for the region is okay. There arent great packages anywhere in Mynamar. We disagree on what okay means.
Walter

Bertie Blurter and his Imaginary Friends

Post by Walter »

"Yes there are actually a lot of people that describe MISY as the best school in town..."
Perhaps on Fantasy Island, Dave.
joethelion

Re: Reply

Post by joethelion »

Just saying you are expressing strong opinions about something you don't know about.

Internet has been uncensored for well over a year, really more. Even five years ago, you could easily access every site through a proxy.

And no, no one describes MISY--a three year old, for-profit place as "the best". And no, you can't find housing for $400-$500 a month. And ISY pays at least twice as much and *all* other schools pay as much or more and offer double the housing allowance.

I'm glad you visited Myanmar. I'm sorry you didn't like it. Neither fact makes you an authority.

[quote="PsyGuy"]Yes there are actually a lot of people that describe MISY as the best school in town, this is with the big caveat that its Myanmar after all. We are just going to have to disagree.

Whats your definition of SOOOOOOOOOOOO far behind the time? Mynamar just changed their censorship policies back in August of 2012, thats 6 months ago. Are you some tween where anything longer then a few weeks is forever?

No I dont read print newspapers, I have Apps for those.
Theres nothing amazing about it, the vast majority of the data is true. Thanks for the correction regarding censorship.

If you read, you would see that the package at MISY for the region is okay. There arent great packages anywhere in Mynamar. We disagree on what okay means.[/quote]
Asiawanderer

Post by Asiawanderer »

Great, useful input - thanks a lot. I'll see how they come across at the job fair. By the way, with the whole 'for profit' status, are there many 'not for profit' international schools and what sort of difference does that make??
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

It means when parents are paying outrageous fees, those fees actually go to the school for materials, infrastructure and maintenance, salaries, and other things. At many for profit schools, those fees actually go into the pockets of the owner and his family, some of whom might be employed - well, nominally "employed" if you know what I mean.

Not saying all for profit schools are like that, but there seem to be many of them around that fit this bill of goods.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

In my opinion/experience:

Non-profit=all monies go back into the school to pay for things like salaries, professional development, building/grounds maintenance, facilities, new technology, etc.

For-profit=money has to go back into the school for all of the same things as above PLUS money also needs to go back to the share holders.

There are some well-run, professional for-profit schools. But in many, many cases the things that a school needs to run successfully are secondary to the share holders' pockets. The bottom line is money, and that means that schools will do certain things to make money (like accepting children they shouldn't and bowing to ridiculous parent demands in order to keep paying families at the school).
danny514

Post by danny514 »

Yangon could be a decent place to live for a couple of years if you prefer living in a less-developed, more traditional South East Asian city. Random observations from a single, recent visit:

- Downtown Yangon is absolutely PACKED with people, markets, narrow streets and traffic. Feels almost like an Indian city. The suburbs to the north are spacious and far more modern - new shopping centres, cinemas, and offices are going up by the day

- Locals seem generally friendly and hospitable to foreigners, and level of English is quite decent (being a former British colony)

- Although Yangon does have international restaurants and a few bars, I don't think living here would offer much in the way of "fun" or entertainment. However, a great place to soak up the local culture, and enjoy the simple pleasures of south east asian life.

- Not much in the way of public transport, only way to get around is taxis with unfixed (but cheap) fares

- Street food, local groceries, and local beer is all very cheap. I would imagine that goods/services produced specifically for the expat market would be quite expensive - so don't expect a very low cost of living unless you're prepared to really "go local"