LYCEE INTERNATIONAL DE ST. GERMAIN-EN-LAYE (AMERICAN SECTION

writer

LYCEE INTERNATIONAL DE ST. GERMAIN-EN-LAYE (AMERICAN SECTION

Post by writer »

Anyone have the scoop on this school? Very curious about it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Great School for an ELL school. Thats really all it is is a ELL program through traditional academics. Otherwise its the traditional french education system, where if your not familiar with the euro model, will be very "different" for an american teacher. As such the salary and compensation is VERY low, I mean poor people low. You make a standard municipal salary, no housing or other benefits, except airfare and national insurance. You do get to LIVE IN PARIS though, which is why they never have problems recruiting.
writer

well, actually...

Post by writer »

Lycee Internationale de St. Germain does not offer accommodation, or airfare, but does offer retirement and health insurance. According to recruitment info, the salary for masters plus 8 years is 70,000+ dollars with 35% taxes. They say a single person can save several thousand dollars a year ... I do not see how that is possible on approximately $45,000....
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

No they will pay for a flit for the employed teacher, but as I wrote before there is no housing, or other benefits. You receive national social insurance programs for medical and retirement. The tax rate on salaries over €70K is 41%. You can't save money living in Paris, but you do get to live in Paris.
writer

Post by writer »

Search Associates info on this school definitely says no flight and states that taxes go up to 35%.
writer

Post by writer »

and the salary is in euros, but equivalent to 70,000usd
writer

Post by writer »

and it is 45 minutes outside Paris....I assume a teacher would be able to live near the school, if desired
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Well SA isn't buying the flight, and some schools need to update their info a little more frequently. They will provide a flight for the employee. Then the tax rate would be around 31%-34% if its under €70K. It's 45 minutes from the city center of Paris, but its still in the Suburban area of Paris.
muffinsc

Post by muffinsc »

I haven't worked at St. Germain, but I've worked for another French school American Section. The Lycee International is the holy grail for OIB teachers. The students are mostly French or dual nationals and the English level is high. The literature and history courses for the final two years are equivalent to AP and approved by the College Board. Many OIB teachers also teach AP, and many examiners examine both.

The program's not really about learning English--the students have to have a high level to be accepted into the program in the first place. There's also an emphasis on biculturalism in addition to bilingualism.

The salary's not much to write home about, but yes, you get to live in Paris. If you want to make actual money and have an actual package in a similar program, try the lycées abroad, like Singapore.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree, their are other schools (ISP ASP) that are more the holy grail.

Regardless of the level its still about developing english skills, thats what the program is about. Yes its high level english ability but still an english school. Just like foreign medical schools have english programs, where the language level can be very high, its still a specialized english learning program.

Most international academies foster and develop bicultural and multi cultural awareness.

What we agree on is that they do offer AP (an advantage to American teachers of course), and that the salary isnt anything to get excited about. You have to go because you want to live in Paris.