Question about dependents

johnson

Question about dependents

Post by johnson »

Hello - I have a question about what directors think about dependents. I am looking to leave my international school job next year and look for a different one. I am in a high demand position and currently work in a tier one school. Have quite a bit of experience. I have two elementary school age children and will look to move on as a single mother for personal reasons. Do you think directors would feel I would be too stretched with two kids? Just curious.
sid

Post by sid »

As a recruiter I wouldn't be worried about it unless you appeared haggard already, had a note from a referee in the direction of 'she's stretched thin already', or you were going for a post that would require substantially more of you than your current post does. Extra point in your favor if the target country has easily accessible child care and home help, and a point against you if it doesn't.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Different position then Sids. Youve already proven you can handle an IS with two kids as a single parent. Thats not going to be an issue for you. The cost of traveling three persons to fill one classroom will be.
johnson

Post by johnson »

Thanks for the feedback. Wasn't sure what people think. I only know what I was like pre-children and now post-children and some of my energy and focus towards my job is gone. No one says they notice, but I feel more adrift. I co-parent now, not single parent as my partner and I still live in the same country but I don't think he will make the next move with me. I do the bulk of the parenting, but at least he is there in peak times. I agree that I would look to move to a place that is nanny-friendly.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Johnson, welcome to the world of dividing time between your real kids and your school kids - a non-win/win situation if there ever was one. Always a tough line to walk and maintain - good luck as you seek out new worlds, new life, and boldly go where no Johnson has gone before <cue transcendent music here>
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Can I throw out a different viewpoint? Depending on the "tier" of the school (and I have no opinion on tiers, because they seem to be pretty arbitrary, and I'm only using the term in this instance for those who believe in them), some "lower tier" schools may WELCOME dependents because they help to put "foreign faces" into the classrooms with a large proportion of local children.

Directors, is that the case in some "lower tier" schools?
johnson

Post by johnson »

I understand that my native speakers may be attractive to a school without many of them, but that isn't the experience I am looking at for my children. I was just asking what people in the hiring position might think (outside of the added expense it causes which I am all too aware). Shadowjack - I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I think of the stress as the "silent scream."
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@ChoirGuy

I cant recall every hearing it directly articulated that "yeah we want teachers with kids so we have some westerners around here", or a similar statement. I have observed at many private/independent schools that are largely local students that the OSH teachers kids end up in a proportionally large percentage of the schools media materials, mainly their brochures and web site photos.