Cebu International School

joeysu

Cebu International School

Post by joeysu »

Does anyone have any information/opinions on Cebu International School in the Philippines? Or the city itself. From your experience how did you like living in that city? pros and cons. Thank you!
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

It's a pretty campus with a pool, a nice play area for young kids, and a large soccer field. There's lots of greenery. The mountains are very picturesque and peaceful.

The school itself is very lacking in funds. I looked at the elementary classrooms and noted that none of them have a computer projector, or even classroom computers for the students. I think there might have been 1 (maybe 2) old computers in a class. The teachers didn't even all have overhead projectors; they have to share. The elementary library was depressing, with a very small amount of books. The middle and high school libraries were just as bad. All of the fiction book easily fit along one wall of the library. The lunchroom was especially dismal. The gym is outdoors, under a metal roofed building.

The elementary is in the beginning steps of the PYP program. The school itself is dealing with the loss of 2 students drowning during a school field-trip/excursion this year.

Cebu itself is an okay city. There is a mall and there are many restaurants. Transportation (taxis) are slow, as the traffic piles up on the narrow streets. I think I would consider the school if I were a new teacher looking for an overseas position, but only if I could teach without technology and with very few resources. It would be hard to teach here after being at a school that had books, classroom computers, etc.
Lopaka

Post by Lopaka »

The school was severely shaken by a tragic accident back in September where two students drowned on a field trip. You can imagine the heartbreak and the impact that had on the entire school community.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/breaking-news ... rip-242574

There will be a new Head of School next year...the current elementary principal at ISKL will be taking over as head. Word is he is a solid leader.

What I hear about Cebu is great kids, a school in need of leadership and direction, great potential.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

If you can do better, don't go. If you can't do better, it may not be that bad of a tier 3 school.

Like the previous poster said, it does have a nice campus.

It's a really old school that has a core of teachers who are dedicated to doing things the old way. If you come from a Western edu background, at times it will feel like you've stepped into 1800s. That said, I was impressed with some of of the key leaders I met there, and I had the feeling that the school is moving in the right direction... slowly.

Salary is going to be the big issue. I believe that it's posted on their website.

Cebu would truly be a wonderful place to live. There are many taxis that can be used quite cheeply. There are many restaurants that produce food and drink to western standards. Weekend travel opportunities are many, if you enjoy beaches and diving. International travel is also easy from Cebu, so one can see a large amount of SEA during the period of a two year contract.

This year, the school did have two students die on a field trip. I have no idea how this affects daily life, but one of the parents is a powerful member of the community and is currently sueing the school. Most educators who know of the situation consider it to be extremely messy and unfortunate.
inman

Post by inman »

Cebu is beautiful, and apparently a very nice place to live.

As for the school, the impact of the accident a few months back would have had a big effect on the community. I imagine many there are going through a tough time, and my thoughts are with them. It'll have to be strong and positive people to go there now and keep the place active.

As for working there, well, the salary is poor, and as it is in the beginner stages of PYP you can expect a lot of confusion and change. It won't be easy. If you're looking at being there for 4+ years then it might be an exciting project, but if it's for less than that it's not really worth it.
joeysu

Post by joeysu »

Wow thank you all for all the information both good and bad. That is exactly what I was hoping for. I did read about the tragic accident and I feel so bad for the family, community and school. I am coming from a western school with a great salary and great technology. It will be my first year teaching abroad. The campus looked beautiful and I heard great things about Cebu. Opportunities to travel around SEA was definitely on the top of my list. With all your information, I definitely have a lot to think about. I definitely do not want to stay 4+ years so it may not be right for me, eventhough the challenge of making a difference and contributing what positive influence I might have to a school that wants to head in the right direction is tempting.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Gee, I'm not sure about this school.

It is my understanding that the teacher in charge of that field trip is facing the equivalent of manslaughter charges and is facing jail time.

One of the children who died is connected to powerful people in the region (Governor, I think).

The school is either unwilling or more probably unable to do anything to protect this teacher. She is not even allowed to leave the country for fear that she will never return.

That's just not an environment I would want to go into - esp. as the quality of the package, curriculum, staff appears to be at the lower end of the spectrum.

I'd hold out for a better offer - just my opinion.
joeysu

Post by joeysu »

I appreciate you honest opinion. I really want to experience teaching abroad at an international school. I have been teaching in CA for 14 yrs and have a great salary n job here but I'm dreaming about trying teaching abroad. I have no experience in international teaching but consider myself a strong teacher in that I love my job, my test scores are high every year, I have had great training, lots of experience and also willing to learn what I need to learn. For those experienced in teaching internationally, in your opinion is it worth me leaving my comfortable teaching spot here to pursue this experience? Or just experience other cultures by "living abroad" in a new country every summer for two months without worrying about earning money since I will have my savings from my teaching job here. That way I can enjoy different countries without too much stress of worrying about work and experience as much of the country as possible during my two months of summer vacation. I know opinions will differ from person to person. I'm just interested what your opinions are. Thank you.
dantespal

Post by dantespal »

Personally, I'd wait to go to a better school. The pay is low and you won't have that much extra travel money unless you use savings. The philippines, probably like most 3rd world countries isn't much fun past vacation time if you don't have enough money to live a better lifestyle.

I returned 2 years ago from spending 4 years in the Philippines. A coworker went to CIS and didn't have much good to say about it--and this was a guy without much in the way of options.

If your goal is 2 months of traveling, you'd be better off making your current good salary and spending 2 months in SE Asia. No need to make minimum wage for 10 months just to travel for 2.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@ joeysu

It sounds like you already know the answer, living abroad as a summer tourist is far different then living AND working abroad. Unless you WANt to live in the Philippines all year, CIS isnt the place to be an international teacher. You could do much better and still live in SE asia, and be close enough to visit the Philippines without having to cross an ocean to do it.

CIS is an "old school" IS, I wouldnt work their. Their resources are minimal and their admin are draconian.
Yes the drowning was a tragedy, but in the landscape view of international teaching this is an extreame outlier. The teacher involved is likely going to do jail time, and based on the family influence might never make it out of the Philippines alive (incidents happen in Filipino prisons).

If your determined to be an international teacher understand that its first about the job. You really sound like you just want to live the lifestyle, and we call that a tourist teacher. You dont really want to TEACH overseas, you want to LIVE overseas. Most ITs dont get to travel and enjoy the lifestyle except for what is available locally to them. otherwise its like any teaching career, you wake up early in the morning, go to school, work, go home, you have a few hours in the evening and then the weekends. Add that to a foreign region where you dont know the language, and most ITs only really travel during the same holidays you do now.

Despite all this your 14 years experience without IB experience will put you very likely in a solid second tier school or a low first tier american curriculum school. Your probably going to see a major cut in compensation in either overall lower pay, or high taxes.
nikkor

Re: Reply

Post by nikkor »

PsyGuy made two comments that I take issue with:

First, a blanket statement like calling the admin "draconian" without evidence, is a little bit unfair. Let's stick to facts, and not make unfounded claims. I have personally dealt with two admin from CIS. I found them to be both positive and professional.

Secondly, "The teacher involved is likely going to do jail time, and based on the family influence might never make it out of the Philippines alive (incidents happen in Filipino prisons)." This is completely false. I want to warn readers to only pay attention to current information from people who are directly involved in the process.

I would like to encourage everyone in this forum to be reflective and kind as we write about complex, real-world situations.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I take exception to those who feel substituting their opinion for someone elses makes their opinion a "fact". I have no doubt you felt they were nice, we have different opinions, and just as the sun can set on one side of the planet and rise on the other side, both are true.

Is your position really that NO ONE has ever gotten killed in an "accident/incident" in prison? That is otherwise a very naive claim.

I write about what i know, i dont sugar coat it to be kind. If you want kind, I can suggest some media outlets owned by some Walt D. guy if you want rainbows and sunshine.
joeysu

Post by joeysu »

Thank you all for your honest opinion. they are much appreciated. thank you to those who responded from personal experience or having talked to friends who have taught in Cebu. the two individuals whom i have talked to in CIS were positive and professional also. psyguy i think you are correct about me wanting to live abroad. though i do want to teach abroad, however, i think it might be better suited for me later on down the line when i get more experience living abroad for two months in different countries during my summer vacation months. when i find a city that i can see myself living in for a longer duration, then maybe at that point i can apply and see what job i can get. philippines was not my first choice. i really wanted something in europe or thailand, however, i haven't been able to get any job offers from there so far. i do think that my best bet is to just spend two months in europe which is where i feel the strongest toward and then come back to CA to teach in september. i'm a bit wistful in thinking that maybe i should not give up on trying to teach abroad just yet, but maybe the grass is not that much greener on the other side. for those of you who are currently teaching abroad, i would love to hear your thoughts.

psyguy mentioned that the teacher involved in the accident will most likely do jail time, it brings up a question of what kind of rights or protections are there for international teachers when accidents occur? i can understand if the teacher was negligent, that there will be consequences, however, when it is truly an accident, are there any kind of protection for these teachers?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@joeysu

Except in rare situations (DoD/DOS/UN/Foreign Office) teaching staff, ITs have no more rights then any other tourist or business traveler to a country. You are subject to the laws of the host country. The embassy and your home government can do little if anything to help you if you are arrested or charged with a crime. They can not get you out of jail, they cant defend you in court. At best they can notify your family, refer you to an attorney in the area, and at most ensure you get humanitarian treatment while in confinement.

Several companies and organizations offer/provide teachers with professional liability insurance.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Joeysu,

Things can only get better at CIS - the current director, who is leaving and who prior to Cebu was at ISU in Mongolia (read the reviews), is a nightmare. That doesn't make her at fault for the accident, however.

Cebu, from what I have gleaned, is a nice-ish place, but the pay is definitely tier 3. You wouldn't be saving money and with your travel plans, might even end up dropping some of your own dollars...

What I would recommend to you is that you plan for next year, ask your board for a two-year leave of absence (at the worst, they can only say no) and plan accordingly.

International teaching is not for everybody, even at the best schools. As to teaching in Europe, I find most of my friends who end up in Europe at decent schools have paid their dues (and gained invaluable IB experience) working elsewhere first.

SE Asia is a good place to start (and also a destination for many international teachers). I would also advise you to look at the Middle East, particularly UAE and Qatar. Saudi, at one of the major schools, is not a bad place, but with many more restrictions than the UAE.

Hope this helps!