Rejections suck.....

wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="senator"]Nice spin, doctor. You ought to be the senator. I'm sorry truth hurts you so much.[/quote]
-----------------------------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder and in this case, the reader. I'll leave it to them to draw their own conclusions.

Feel free to have the last word. :D
Nemo.

Post by Nemo. »

[quote="senator"]Sorry, Guys, but let's do a little Tough Love session.

Compared to the tragedies that a lot of people must endure - disease, injury, loss - not getting a job offer is a VERY minor thing.

I am always surprised? Saddened? Disappointed? that so many of the people who share my profession have so little resiliency and mental toughness that they seem to fall to pieces when they do not get an offer of employment.

Buck up! Keep trying and don't quit. Watch the movie "Lincoln" and others in that genre to see what REAL adversity is.

And to the others: STOP BEING ENABLERS.[/quote]

A little harsh as no job = no money! means no food or roof over head so is major and no job for a while makes you less employable. So good reason to be stressed.

I wonder if this year far more teachers from west looking for jobs. Certainly in UK lots of unemployed teachers as schools increase hours and there are less children to teach. PGCE grads numbers keep on going up. Stupid really. This means they look abroad and armies of cheap young teachers flooding the third tier market and good teachers leaving UK going for 1st/2nd tier means more competition despite more schools. Not everyone wants to be in China.

I applied this year for a few jobs mostly to get idea of rates as current school wanted me to stay and were generous. Still I was surprised that only got two interview offers in odd places despite shortage subject + IB. Schools are flooded with good quality applicants and as I am not your standard teacher for tier 1 (I had a life before teaching makes me unattractive to the elite schools it seems as I am risky and a little older - do understand these things I know best way for me into first tier is when I know the head personally) I go for tier 2 and that market is flooded this year.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I just want to apologize for senator on this one. We stayed up late last night drinking malt liquor, watching Full Metal Jacket and reading ISR. I realize that it was an error, and it won't again. Sometimes things get a little bit raw here in northern Sudanistan.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Malt liquor? If your going to drunk post, have the decency to at least drink the good stuff.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="nikkor"]I just want to apologize for senator on this one. We stayed up late last night drinking malt liquor, watching Full Metal Jacket and reading ISR. I realize that it was an error, and it won't again. Sometimes things get a little bit raw here in northern Sudanistan.[/quote]
-----------------------
:D I was going to insert a relevant FMJ quote, but realized that most of them would lose something in being cleaned up for posting.

So I'll settle for next time that happens, "Choke yourself!"
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I have been lurking and reading many of the exchanges. One of the reasons I was not posting was I too have been searching for a position for next academic year. I began my search and submitting CVs in October. I had few call backs, and one job I was assured was mine never surfaced. I have no clue why I was not contacted again. For awhile I worried my referees were not speaking well of me. But just two days ago, I got two job offers at really good schools! The last few days have been stressful trying to figure out which to accept.

I'm not really writing to toot my horn. I really wanted to tell those of you out there still waiting to not give up hope. My advice is, if you don't already have contacts that could help you, to make sure administrators have easy access to what you do really well. Incorporate technology into what you do. Set up a wiki or website where you can share what you do. (Please make sure that you have parental permission to post any pictures or videos of the kids!!!) Be an innovator. Keep at it. I'm convinced things will work out for the best. Good luck to all of you still looking.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

Do you know what's best about rejection? It provides you precious lessons that help you develop a thicker, wiser skin and also, it opens up another door in perhaps, an even better school.

Chin up...you'll get your dream school :)