More license questions

KellyGuy

More license questions

Post by KellyGuy »

Since this is different than the other question, I'll start a new thread.

I have a WI secondary physics and math license, but unfortunately, I first got it in 2005, which means that renewing my license means going through a program involving a "professional development program" involving setting goals, recording reflections, and showing solid and measurable progress toward those goals.

Who gets to evaluate that progress? Well, when I taught in Wisconsin, my school district provided a committee for free, and also provided people to help me write the PDP so that it would eventually be approved. Now, I would have to hire people to form a committee, paying them many hundreds of dollars each, and I still might not get my PDP approved.

IIRC, it is still good next year, which is when I will be applying to other schools, but what can I do in the future? Is it possible to transfer a WI license to NY state, which has an option of a permanent license?
National

Post by National »

Since I haven't seen this posted in other licensure threads I thought I would put it out there. My friend has a 99 year license from Missouri. I checked it out and not sure if I will pursue it -- it has weird breakdowns in teaching levels -- 1-6, 5-9, and 9-12. No pure secondary (7-12) or pure elementary (K-8), so it would depend on what your certification is in. It looks like to cover middle and high school, you'd need to get two certifications. Not sure if you could get the middle grades one if your are certified in another state as secondary since most secondary certificates only cover 7-12 and don't include grades 5 and 6. It seems really weird, but if you are only looking to teach one level, it may be an option.

http://dese.mo.gov/schoollaw/rulesregs/ ... /Index.htm
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes its possible to transfer a license to NY, though its not the friendliest location. NY no longer offers a "lifetime" certificate and you need a masters to renew. There isnt a state that ive found that still issues new lifetime certificates.

What most ITs do is transfer their certification and "park" it in a new friendlier state, usually in states that dont have PD requirements to renew. I transfered mine to CA., the professional second level credential is called a CLEAR credential and requires no PD to renew, just paying a renewal fee, which you can do online.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Kellyguy, what about your present school? Surely if the admin examined and approved it, and you followed the process (reflection, etc), then you are covered?

As to being recertified, why would they turn you down if you have dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's?

I would approach your administrator, PD committee chair or curriculum coordinator and start seeing what you can put together...or try for Misssouri certification for 99 years!
KellyGuy

Post by KellyGuy »

Missouri does sound good.

PsyGuy, I think you must have done your transfer to CA many years ago. I am originally from CA, and have looked at transferring my license there ever since I got it. I can't do it without taking loads of extra coursework to effectively get an ESL addition to my license. Then, teachers have to do the equivalent of what I'm doing for about 7 years to clear their license. I've talked to teachers in my hometown about this, they have confirmed it.c

Shadowjack, the WI certification isn't up to my current school, it is up to the WI DPI, and they say that I have to do a PDP. They have a way to do this onlne, but the people who I hired as my committee have to be trained in the Wisconsin PDP procedure.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

No, like a year and a half ago. Here is the basic worksheet:

http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl874.pdf

I went through route 2 and got CLEAR credentials.

1) I have a Bachelors (actually a doctorate)
2) I met the basic skill requirement I had to take to enter teacher education.
3) My certificate (with two exceptions) matched CA single subject areas.
4) I have way more the 2 years of verified experience.
5) I had 179 hours in my Bachelors degree
6) My ESL teaching certificate was accepted for the English Learner Authorization. Though I have a NTSB certificate in ESL as well, so that would have worked either way.

You could do a two step transfer. Transfer your certificate to a state that lets you add an ESL certificate through examination, then transfer that certificate to CA?