British School of Bangkok, AKA Topsy Turvy International

mrsmu

British School of Bangkok, AKA Topsy Turvy International

Post by mrsmu »

Hello everyone,

I'm considering this school as a potential employer and would to get a bit more information about it.

What is the teaching at the school like?
What are the facilities like?
How well is the school managed?
What is the treatment of the teachers like? And pay etc?

Just any information at all would be helpful so I can decide whether to move forwards.

Thank you so much. :)
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

From what I've heard and read it's all terrible i'm afraid .
mrsmu

Post by mrsmu »

Hm this is what I was afraid of. It was the first school I applied for and got an interview straight away. Should I hedge my bets and see if another school will get back to me?
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

A good friend of mine worked there until last year. She was treated badly. Asked her for details but hasn't got back to me.

From what I remember her main complaint was the management, just plain nasty and unnecessarily so.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Mrs mu,

Such schools will treat you like crap and pay you peanuts. Unless you have a particular need to be in such a place then you should stay well clear, never mind hedging your bets

! If you are fully qualified then there's no need to take such terms and conditions.

Just my humble opinion.
mrsmu

Post by mrsmu »

Thanks for helping me make my decision. It's hard to get a grasp of what a school is like without having actually been to it. I've only worked in uk schools before so I'm finding this all very different.
Thanks again!
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

No problem at all.

If you need anymore advice on IS's in Thailand, I can probably help you to a certain extent.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

No problem at all.

If you need anymore advice on IS's in Thailand, I can probably help you to a certain extent.
mrsmu

Post by mrsmu »

How does this offer sound:

It is from what I can gather is a mid tier school.

75 000 b/month
14 000 housing allowance/month
20 000 settling in allowance
£400 flight allowance

To put into context I only have a couple of years UK experience.

Thanks! :)
mrsmu

Post by mrsmu »

This is an offer from a different school to originally posted about to clarify.
aridion

Post by aridion »

That is an okay offer. Regents?
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Agreed, that's not so bad IF it's after tax and you are a relative newbie. Though you'll have to swim half the way with that flight allowance ^_^
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

The slary is okay if its AFTER taxes, meaning there are lower but not much. The ELL market in thailand hits the ceiling around 50K-60K. 75 isnt that much better if its before taxes. Youd be pretty much a the bottom of the IS market and the top of the ELL market.

The housing is low the standard is 20K. 14K is more then 25% below average. Housing includes not just rent but utilities, and other costs.

20K Settling in allowance could be okay, could not, it depends what other benefits the school provides as far as your housing (do they provide "guarantee" for you, will your housing require deposits, security fees, agents fees, utility connection fees, etc). The fewer assistances your school provides, you will burn through that 20K very quickly. Does the school provide transportation to and from school, temporary housing, etc. If its 20K and that all in and there are few other resources, that 20K could be gone before the first day of class depending on your start up costs.

The flight allowance is a joke. If you get a supper saver, one time a year, when the planets are in alignment, and you schedule your trip during a WAY off peak season, it would cover one way. It certainly isnt going to cover a return ticket, or any extra baggage.

Some things you didnt bring up and but what about their insurance plan. Im starting to think they have a "local" plan. Do you need tuition for any kids? Do they have a PD budget? Any bonuses?

All in the package is minimal, id pass if it was JUST based on compensation, unless the school and position offered something compelling to me, or I just wanted to be in LOS at all costs and had no other options.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

If it is Regents then this salary is BEFORE tax. They have another benefit which is in place to counter devaluation of your home currency against the baht. I was told by the school that for £ sterling this will approximately reimburse you for the tax you pay.
mrsmu

Post by mrsmu »

Thanks for replies!
This is hard!