Bangkok with a toddler

viper1b

Bangkok with a toddler

Post by viper1b »

Hello all,
Thanks to all those who provide so much help on this forum. I have done a lot of reading, as have most people searching for info. Searched for and read other posts with similar topics.
Family of 3 with a toddler. Salary + housing allowance = 150,000THB before taxes. Prefer cooking own food. If we go out to eat it is generally for ethnic food (Thai, Indian, Chinese). Any "western" food would be cooked in house.
Are we looking at being able to save half that amount (75,000 THB) while still maintaining a good lifestyle?
Eating Thai/Indian 2 days/week with 5 days/week cooking at home. Enjoying an ice cream treat or other once a week, being able to buy tortillas and cheese for my mexican fix. I am a bit of a carnivore, but wife kind of evens it out, until the son gets a bit older, then I imagine he will take after me more. Will eating local beef/pork/chicken bankrupt us or is that only if we INSIST on "Western" beef?

What kind of damage will a nice 2 br apt/townhouse cause? I have researched 20,000-30,000 and obviously on up to rediculous amount. Is that about par for the course?
I hope I have been clear and provided enough info to our expectations of "lifestyle".
Thanks in advance for any info and guidance provided.
pacificsurf619

Post by pacificsurf619 »

I assume its probably 130K + 20K housing or something similiar?

You will get hit hard on taxes - probably 25-30%

In terms of eating in versus eating out - Thai food is MUCH cheaper than even cooking it yourself. Thai food is incredibly good and incredibly cheap with a plethora of vegetable + chicken/beef/shrimp combinations for less than 3 dollars. To save money on food its better to eat out Thai.

I would drop the cheese habit. Cheese is one of the most expensive food items here in Thailand. Cheese will definitely become your most expensive food item.

I do not think you will be able to save 75 K. If you have to pay taxes on 130K you will probably take home less than 110. While some ESL teachers do survive on 35-40K a month, they would most likely be single and very frugal.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

That is a good salary but, as stated above, with a spouse & kid I doubt you will be able to save 75k/month if that is your goal.

After tax you will be left with around 115k - 120k. If you live somewhat central in bkk, you are going to spend 20k minimum for a nice 2 bed apt with utilities. That leaves you with 100k at best, and while it's possible to live on 25k/month after housing is paid, it wouldn't be that great of a lifestyle.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

I imposed a living allowance of 25K baht a month (actually 5K a week) after expenses when I worked in Bangkok two years ago.

Then, as a single man who has tastes 50/50 Western/Thai, I could still live well.

That was two years ago and as a regular visitor to Thailand still, I can tell you prices have increased and with a family this is an unrealistic figure.

No idea how 'western' your tastes are and what are 'family costs' in BKK but I would hazard a guess that 35-40K would be a more comfortable figures for living expenses.
Last edited by Mr.C4ke on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

First its cheaper eating out then eating in. Your estimate for housing is realistic. Your going to get hit with the top tax bracket. If your school provided the housing you could lower your taxable income, but getting it in cash isnt going to make that work.

You really need to ask yourself "can you live on the economy"? Food even cheese is going to be the least of your worries. A half Kg of cheddar is expensive but unless your going through that much daily is a minor expense. Transportation is going to be your biggest ancillary expense outside of possibly food. Ive only met a handful of introverts who didnt come out of their shell living in BKK. Its just too easy to do stuff, and there is a lot to do, and the costs seem so cheap, you through caution and your budget to the wind and life the high life, because you can and as a teacher your not likely to have it as good as you will on a 150K Baht in LOS. Why travel to another country if your just going to be a homebody?

If you can REALLy live off the economy you can save 75K baht, but id bet money against you that you wont. It will really be a "hardship" all to save a couple thousand US.
viper1b

Post by viper1b »

Mr. C4ke,
Are you saying that by including cost of housing, (say 20,000) + plus your estimate of living expenses (35,000-40,000) lets round it up to 50,000, then living decently enough on 75,000THB per month is possible, and the leftover could be savings? WOW long sentence. Using buffalofan's 115,000/month after tax estimate, we could still have 40,000THB to remit to US each month? Not the hopeful 75K, but I think it still might be doable until the son is a bit older.

Psyguy, I am DEFINITELY not an introvert, just not necessarily a bar-goers so much anymore. My spare time goes towards my son/wife, coaching sports at school, I plan on playing either baseball(i hear there are japanese companies that have teams?) or playing softball(I have found the league website). And then of course working out(bicycle, sandbags and school gym). I find it pretty easy to have a couple beers after a game then call it quits, even with all the chiding from "the guys". LOL.

Can somebody shed some light on the tax situation(%)? I have read so many different things online. Are Americans still tax-free for 2 years? If we stay longer, I have read that we owe those 2 years in back taxes.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

More than possible, I would imagine it wouldn't reach that, which would mean money for trips to Hua Hin/Rayong for the weekends occasionally.

If travelling on the BTS (Skytrain) is an option for you then you could live a little further out and get a larger place for your money, e.g. Past On Nut on the Sukhumvit line extension.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with Cake in that apartment spaces arent like they are in the US. With a toddler your going to want (not need) a three bedroom just so that your not tripping over each other.

I doubt very much youd be able to join a japanese company baseball team. An association softball team sure. Understand that those things have costs and fees though. Im feeling really comfortable that you wouldnt be able to save 75K baht, half that or 30K Baht sure.