HS History Jobs

jbiersteker

HS History Jobs

Post by jbiersteker »

Greetings!!

So as we sit here, anxious to return to international teaching, but alas, no job offers yet, I was just wondering if it was me or were there a shortage of HS History/Social Studies jobs this year? Perhaps people who have been watching the job situation over the last few years could comment, but I know at Cambridge most of the jobs were MS.

The reason we ask, is that if things don't work out this year, we want to prepare ourselves better for next year and want to get a feel if this year was normal or not.

Thanks!!
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Anyone?

Thanks!!
National

Post by National »

I am certified in both English and Social Studies (history, poli sci) and found that most of my job opportunities were coming from the English certification. There weren't nearly as many ss positions. There were quite a few ms humanities but not many pure hs history positions. On top of that, history has a glut of candidates. It seems Econ was more marketable than history.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Each year is different. One year there might be a lot of positions in a subject and the next year there might be only a few. It goes in cycles.

Even if you only wanted to teach HS Socials or History, I would be gunning for the MS Socials and Humanities positions simply because it gets your foot in the door and if a HS teacher is leaving and they like you, you can ask to take the HS position and they will hire for the MS position.

Whichever you decide, good luck!
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Hi Shadowjack,

That was my strategy in Cambridge, but many looked at my CV (despite the fact that I had middle school experience, both inside and outside the classroom) and simply labelled me a "high school" guy based on my last 13 years. It does get quite frustrating and I think it might have to do with all the IB emphasis with the MYP.

Just my thoughts!

Thanks!!
teacherlady

Post by teacherlady »

most DEFINITELY there were more MS history than HS history this year.

and yup, it is totally a cycle thing. last time i was recruiting, so many of the social studies / history postings included sociology and the recruiters were certainly keen for "experience" in teaching sociology (come on, sociology??? anybody can teach sociology!!! ha ha okay sociologists i am only half joking here).

it seemed like, in addition to having loads of MYP humanities positions (more than HS social studies/history, that is for sure!) schools were very keen for MYP "experienced" teachers. many schools with MYP are really embracing the middle school model. they don't want teachers to take on middle school positions (or even 9th/10th grade MYP positions) simply as a spring board to get something in the higher grades. they want committed middle school teachers. and i can appreciate that. and that is not what i am, so i was not willing to pretend to be someone who loves middle school. because once i got to the school and tried to get into the high school, i would be exposed, now wouldn't i!!

so i do feel that it is most important to be true to your strengths. don't be something you aren't. and i think that if you try to be everything to everybody (yes! i can teach econ! sociology? sure! middle school? why not??) you look like you are a generalist (seen by some as without much substance) or someone desperate to please. and you know what they say, "when you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one."

having said that, when you are looking for a job and know you could teach middle school just as easily as high school, well, it is frustrating!!!

in the end, i accepted a combo middle school / high school history position. at first i was a little disappointed with what i ended up with, but i am thrilled now. and even more so as i continued to look at what was out there and all things considered, i think i got the best of what i could have.

years of experience in the overseas world has taught me that the job hunt is all about who you know, right place / right time, and luck in what is out there in the given year you have chosen to make a move.

them's the breaks!!

good luck to all still recruiting. there are still many things to be had and there will be more late additions as the school year draws to a close.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jbiersteker

Three things:

1) It really moves in cycles. It has to do with the nature of contracts. When there is a shortage and schools hire they are hiring those teachers for TWO years so next year the subject area is very lean, because those teachers are in the middle of their contract period.

2) MYP is changing, and schools are preparing for that.

3) Its you. I hate to be cruel, but someone has too. Just because your a HS history guy doesnt mean your incapable of teaching MYP or middle school history.
If social studies/humanities is a sunday, then history is the ice cream. Without that you just have some topping in a bowl (chocolate, whip cream and a cherry). Humanities/Social studies without history is like Thanksgiving without the turkey and skiing without snow.

I've mentioned this before, its the logistics of your family situation. Its just a deal breaker. Its like me and a Bogati, no matter what it can do, or how great the feature set is, I just cant afford it, so im not getting one.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Thanks Psyguy,

While I would agree with you on the family thing, I don't know if its me. I have taught AP Euro and had graduation rates of 93 and 89%, which I figure are pretty good scores. I also built an MUN program in a public high school that won at Cornell twice and came second at MIT/Boston U, so I think my ability to motivate in and out of classroom is fine. My references are good and my interviews (and I know when I do a bad interview) were fine.

I'll just keep plugging away, but we may have to wait for next year and just chalk this year up to experience.

Thanks!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Does your family belong to someone else or is it YOUR family? Your family makes the logistical deal breaker about you.

Those are very strong accomplishments, and you should be proud of them, but everyone has accomplishments and good references.

Everyone has good scores, and in the vast majority of ISs there is 100% graduation rate. Even if a student at an open IB school didnt get a high enough score for an IB diploma, they would just get the national curriculum diploma.

Everyone does XCs, coaches, runs a team/club, or goes to competitions.

I dont want you to think your not competitive on your resume, Ive read many applications and resumes and interviewed candidates who think having a degree and certification means they are entitled to a job in a classroom. Your as qualified as most ITs are, your family is just a deal breaker.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Hi PsyGuy,

I think we are agreed on the family thing (My family by the way). In regards to the AP scores, at the time they were considered extraordinary by those in the AP Euro world (perhaps they were only comparing US scores), but it is quite possible that all the international schools have caught up to those rates, so I won't quibble.

Thanks!!