Fairview International School Kuala Lumpur

stilli75

Fairview International School Kuala Lumpur

Post by stilli75 »

My wife and I both have interviews with the Fairview International School in KL. We have heard mixed reviews about this school- pay is not great, micro-managing admin and lack of extra-curricular activities. On the plus side, we've heard wonderful things about Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia and the school is IB. At the very least, we figured we should see what they had to say and gain interview practice.

We are currently working in Kuwait and we have a young son so we want to be somewhere where there are green spaces and he can be outdoors more. Does anyone have an insighting on working a Fairview?
overseasvet2

Fair view

Post by overseasvet2 »

They have a disproportionate amount of teachers who leave within months at the school. I do not have details other than this.
Yantantether

Re: Fair view

Post by Yantantether »

[quote="overseasvet2"]They have a disproportionate amount of teachers who leave within months at the school. I do not have details other than this.[/quote]

Ditto.

P.S. Just found this from another forum, for what it's worth:

Please help!

Hi, I have been offered a job in an international school in KL, which has a particularly fair view. I have been offered a sallary of 5500 ringgits per month. But did not know whether this was hugely below average and how far it will get me. Accommodation is included.

I also have read on the contract that you are liable to reimberse the school should you decide to terminate the contract before the end of the 2 years, what exactly does this mean? Is it just for courses and things?

And this;

Fairy school, like the majority, won't pay into EPF as no legal requirement to do so (actually if you do join it they have to pay a nominal 5RM a month - yes FIVE RM)

Accomodation allowance at fairy is 3,000 RM but they quote included. Medical will be the usual muppet insurance offered in Malaysia. You get hurt, you pay and if still alive and able to teach school MIGHT pay some of the bills. If crippled they sack you and leave you broke................. you will need to get own insurance policy to cover proper medical costs. The few good school do offer proper insurance - not fake int schools like fairy
Nemo.

Post by Nemo. »

Hi avoid Fairview with a long barge pole - KL is great but fouth tier schools like this that overwork you and are run by sons of the owner (and guess what they know nothing about education - one is a Principal one is a coordinator) are not fun. The workload is very high and pay low although they do pay upto 12,000 rM per month. The poster above was on another site must have been an Art teacher!

Academic integrity is also an issue. One coordinator told me all EE's must be an A or B and supervisors "had to do what was necessary to achieve that" so I wouldn't work there for sure as that implies going beyond supervising. They have high staff turnover for a reason.

There are far better choices!
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

For a full benefits package and 11k RM, I would work there. There are enough EE writers out there that students utilize anyway. They didn't go for my request, and I didn't care. Plenty of schools will overwork you in today's market.
Anabel

Fairview IS Kuala Lumpur

Post by Anabel »

[quote="Mathman"]For a full benefits package and 11k RM, I would work there. There are enough EE writers out there that students utilize anyway. They didn't go for my request, and I didn't care. Plenty of schools will overwork you in today's market.[/quote]

Hi all,

Anyone have anything recent on this school ?

Thanks
Ann
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I take back what I said....it would need to be 17k Ringgit for me to sell my soul
Marz31

Re: Fairview International School Kuala Lumpur

Post by Marz31 »

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences regarding the MA Education, 3 year program at Fairview Int School. Can someone shed some light on the monthly allowance and how much it is? Also the Accomodation they provide, is it suitable for a married couple, so they offer them something different to that of the halls of residence?

Overall, what's it like doing the MA, working at Fairview and living in KL on the allowance they provide.
Thanks
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Marz31 - honestly sounds like it is a program designed to take advantage of you, work you to the bone for very cheap prices, have you pay for the honor via your university tuition (which university?), and then "reward" you with a degree.

There are other programs out there that are much better Masters programs and you won't sell your soul to a school to get. Imagine how horrible you will feel, upon taking up the program and coming to work, when you are told, "Do this or else..." and you realize how much tuition you have spent and what the end result is if you don't do exactly as they asked...

I would advise you to run in the other direction ASAP.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

I recently came across this; the school offering these is Fairview.

http://www.stcconsortium.co.uk/blog/ma- ... -malaysia/
desert123

Post by desert123 »

Hello, Any recent updates about teaching at Fairview KL? If anyone has info on the Masters Programme, teaching at Fairview or accommodation and pay, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Much is above, no?
Up to you if you choose to ignore, but just looking for validation usually ends in disappointment.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

See my comment above. Caveat emptor!
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Currently advertising 30+ vacancies through recruitment@nes-hk.com, a different agency from that used in 2014.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@desert123

Nothings changed, ISs dont change unless ownership changes. I agree with @Yantantether, no amount of inquiry is going to change the story, it doesnt end happily ever after, proceed at your own peril.