Sell Me on Kuwait

CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

newchapter.

how much could one save in a year with that schools / your package?

not sure I could put up with the ME to only save "something". would need to be a nice / considerable something lol
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I know what you mean, Calipro. The savings potential cited on Search seemed fairly good.
emilysue1212

Re: Sell Me on Kuwait

Post by emilysue1212 »

I teach in Kuwait with my husband. We are able to save one full salary each month plus a third-half of another. Last year we paid off $20,000 of debt. Now we're debt-free and plan to save that much each year until we leave.

A lot of schools in Kuwait are decent places to work if you are new-ish to teaching and want to build your resume. We've been very happy with our school and the opportunities for advancement, so much so that we've resigned for another 2 years. We won't be here forever, but we're satisfied with our situation for the time being.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I just saw this topic and I'll add my two cents. I taught in Kuwait one year and it was fine for that, but I would not go back. Most Kuwaitis are stuck-up and arrogant. They are rude and have a very entitled attitude. I know, I know that happens a lot but it is worse there. I teach in Bahrain and other Gulf Nationals have the same opinion of them as I do. Furthermore, if you care at all about human rights it will disgust you to see the way the slaves, errr I mean laborers are treated. Google Kuwait Daily News and look in the police section. It's eye opening. Maids sometimes commit suicide because they feel there's no way out, attempted rapes with no repercussions, etc. I realize I sound negative and the funny thing is that I am the type who easily blends into the local culture and enjoys it for what it is, but there is no culture there. I did get out and meet Kuwaitis - I was a frequent visitor to a small local coffee shop so my observations are based on what I saw and experienced, not just hearsay. Also, don't be fooled. The schools there are not "international" in any sense of the word. Most of them have huge numbers of Kuwaiti students, with smaller numbers of other nationalities. Wasta runs rampant and the Kuwaiti kids feel they can do what they want. They throw rocks at busses, harass women, and get in fights just because they can. If you're teaching grade one you'll need excellent classroom management skills. I'm sure the kids act similar to how they did in your Egyptian school. Also, be forewarned that if you tick off the wrong parent they can cause huge problems for you. Insulting a Kuwaiti is actually against the law. I'm not sure which school, but there was a principal who was held there for awhile and couldn't leave, basically under house arrest, because she made a kid sit in her office. Her school did nothing for her. The schools, yes even the "good" ones will always bow to the parents in the end. So don't believe they "have your back". Schools there are all for profit and it is a business for them. Contracts can and were disregarded and I've known teachers there that were fired over trivial things. That is the kind of stuff that DOES happen so I'd be very, very careful. Yes, you can save money, but is it worth it to ignore the way Kuwaitis treat others? From my year there I learned that personal fulfillment is much more important to me than the almighty dollar. The dorm housing was fine for me. Just do your own thing and you'll be fine. I would definitely rethink going there, but that's me. There are many people who are there who are just fine with it. Also, I wasn't in one of the schools mentioned and I'm sure that made a difference, although many schools are the same.
cdn

Post by cdn »

My wife and I didn't really like Kuwait either, for many of the reasons just posted. In general, the schools seemed pretty bad (mine was, and I've heard from friends about the others).

The principal that was held in Kuwait was working for Al Bayan.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

I think we are all in this for the experiences we want to have. If you dont want to learn about another culture, its probably best to just stay home, where it is safe. I dont think we need to 'agree' with the way the culture/country runs--we are there as observers, no?
I taught in India for a few years and I was appalled at the way the caste system is still operating. I dont agree with it, cant change it--but I am aware of it. Seeing all the beggars made me feel uncomfortable and awkward. I hated it. In the beginning I didnt leave my house, because I didnt want to deal. Eyes wide shut. Since that time, I have changed my opinion about my role as an international educator.
I have just accepted a position as principal of a school in Kuwait. I am making my decision considering all the facts and Knowledge of the situation re: how the 'slaves' are treated is certainly important...but if I truly want to learn about the culture I am going into then thats just part of the learning curve. Just because I dont agree with how the entitled Kuwaitis treat their help( from my cushy western, first world life) isnt a reason for me to NOT accept a post, I dont think. My mandate is not to agree/disagree or try to change a culture. My mandate is education of myself, and to be an observer. Now, will the way they drive, their sense of entitlement and their attitude to the foreigners upset me and make me cringe? Yep. So what? Who am I to say that its right or wrong> it just IS. The point of doing this is to question our own belief system, to become aware of world issues and to increase our own understanding.
I feel, its similar to the sex trade in Thailand. Does it make me NUTS seeing rich, fat, old American men hanging out with the Thai girls? Yep. Do I think its disgusting? Yep. Does that mean I would never teach in Thailand? Not necessarily. It is what it is and its far more complicated than I can imagine.
We as visitors to a country should be passive observers--and do what we were hired to do--which is teach.
BigSky

Post by BigSky »

I agree with Flyingpigs. Kuwait is definitely a place that evokes strong feelings in most. I previously found it to be an amazing learning experience which is why I've just accepted a curriculum position there. In my own way I can make a difference to the kids I teach.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

Flyingpigs: You seemed to have completely missed the point of my post. I want to experience all a culture has to offer and when I was in Kuwait I certainly did that. I was the teacher that was always out and about meeting locals and partaking in things there so I could better understand the culture. Other teachers in my school had their expat groups they hung out in, but not me. However, I think you are wrong to say we are merely observers. If you were somewhere and saw injustice would you just stand by and say "oh well, that's just the way it is done here?" If you would than I find that you are most definitely not an administrator I would want to work for. Of course, there will always be things we disagree with and coming from the west we have a totally different perspective. That is not right or wrong, that is just our experience. I don't think we should go in trying to make every place we go more "westernized", but there are definitely universal truths that need to be taught and I am proud to say I did that in Kuwait, consequences be d**ned. When I saw my students and assistant treating their household help horribly I spoke up. That is universal humanity. What I can't deal with are how we treat the least among us and to see the abuses so rampant in Kuwait is difficult to swallow. You say you don't like to see certain things and you don't like it, but then you just turn a blind eye. I find that despicable and totally lacking in human empathy. You will fit right in Kuwait because it seems like you're definitely in it for yourself. Thank God I don't teach at your school. I would be disgusted to work with someone like you. You say we go there to "teach". So what does that mean? If you know the maids are getting raped on the side, so be it? Like I said you will do quite well in Kuwait because you seem to be quite callous. Good luck to you and good luck to the staff you will have who has to deal with an administrator who doesn't care about the dignity of others.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Dawson: Yikes! Where did that rampage come from? I am not going to try to explain what I was saying, nor try to defend my point, because it would be lost on you. You seem to have something to prove. I dont.
Suffice to say you absolutely nothing about me, who I am, what I think, what I believe, or what lengths I go to to protect the underdog.....yet your post is vindictive, nasty and quite frankly rude. Perhaps if you had more of an open mind to invite dialogue, not judgement, you would have had a better time in Kuwait, and indeed anywhere you go.