Sell Me on Kuwait

shadylane

Re: School for your children

Post by shadylane »

Last edited by shadylane on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
brisa

School for your children

Post by brisa »

Thank you! How would you rate ASK? Are you familiar with it?
shadylane

Re: School for your children

Post by shadylane »

Last edited by shadylane on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
brisa

Post by brisa »

Thanks. It is not easy to find a lot of current information on Kuwait in general. I am going there in a few weeks to visit some of the schools and make a decision. When my children were younger, schools were not such a big deal but now with both in junior high, it is a different story.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Brisa,

if you are after a British education, go for TES, NES, etc...

If you want an American education, go for ASK or AISK. I would take ASK over AISK - better facilities.
fanut

Sell Me on Kuwait

Post by fanut »

In response to schools for your children to attend - American International, American University, and Universal American
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Any more information on Kuwait? Did anyone on here end up going there? I am looking for information on ASK in particular.

Thanks!
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

Not really inside info, but my wife and were requested to interview with ASK recently, and we hadn't even applied there. Gave us a feeling that it's not too desirable a place... Or we're just awesome. Either way, we weren't interested in Kuwait.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

Like Bellarex, I was contacted by ASK four years ago when I was recruiting. I, too, was not interested and had not contacted them. I would say maybe Kuwait would be a way to break into the international circuit? Otherwise, I haven't read many positive things about the schools and life there.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

Last edited by shadylane on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks for all the feedback.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

ASK is ok if you don't need much money. Back in the day it had a very good package. Now, the package hasn't changed much in the 10+ years since I taught there and costs have increased.

That said, it is well-resourced and it attracts the most true North American students who seek a US curriculum. It has a strong Arabic program that all students take, which is great. Our child picked up Arabic amazingly fast while we were there.

Housing is a long way away (used to be a 5 minute walk back in the day). Driving, as in ALL Gulf states, is dangerous (and don't let anybody fool you about driving in any of the Gulf states - they all suck for that).

If you are looking for a job, it is not a bad place if (a) you are starting out; or (b) you are winding down and just need to cover costs and save a bit.

If you have student loans, etc, there are more lucrative base paying jobs. However, if you are a hard worker and can tutor an in-demand subject, you can make a ton of money tutoring during your two years.

So as you can see, there are pluses and minuses to ASK.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks, Shadowjack. I appreciate your insight. How is the expat population in Kuwait? Do people get together or does everyone just sit around and hate it?

I am not young, but I'm not old...I have a lot of stateside experience but am starting out on the international circuit so I know I'm going to get into a Tier 1 school right off the bat.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Newchapter, like everywhere, life is what you make it. There is lots to do IF you go looking for it. Kuwait Little Theater is always looking for people of all types both in front of and behind the scenes, the Ahmedi Choir puts on a concert or two every year, there are musical groups, book groups, the Hash, divers, etc.

At the same time, if all you are looking for is shopping, shopping, more shopping and eating, with horrible traffic, Kuwait has that too.

I enjoyed my time in Kuwait, sang with the choir, got involved on the hash, and discovered different cultural foods, not necessarily at big chain restaurants.

I also had the opportunity to travel and see different parts of the world.

ASK is not the best school in the world, but if you go in with your eyes open and do your job, you will be appreciated by the students and admin. As an entry-rung post on the international circuit, there are far far worse schools out there in worse places.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks, Shadowjack...meant to say I'm NOT going to get a Tier 1 school right off the bat...type is too small...going blind...lol

Anyway - I'm trying to have an open mind and be realistic about my chances. And yes, like you said, I'm thinking ASK isn't the best but not the worst either. Package isn't super but it's not terrible. I'm very good with my money so I should be able to save something.

Thanks again for all your input!