A question for directors.

Open Communication

A question for directors.

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
pgrass

Re: A question for directors.

Post by pgrass »

I have never heard of this happening.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

Around the world? Where exactly are you referring to?

Miscegenation is part and parcel of most IS communities, that is unless you're working in the southern states of America; then I'd be more concerned about finding myself hanging from a large tree branch, than losing my housing allowance and flights home!
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I don't think this is common practice, probably just depends on school policy. I know at my current school there have been teachers who married locals, and they retained all the usual expat hire benefits (also got health benefits for their spouse).

Personally, my spouse is from a different country than I am but we live in a 3rd country. I would consider teaching in my spouse's country as there are several good schools and locations there. But if a school there tried to pin me down as a local hire just because of my spouse, well, that would be the end of the interview right there because I will never sign a local hire contract.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

This practice, though perhaps not widespread, certainly does happen in Thailand, and at some of the more 'reputable' schools as well. You don't necessarily have to be married for a school to try this on either.

Just to clarify: It usually occurs when you move in-country from one school to another, not when you are already at a school with an expat package (at least that seems to be the situation in Thailand).

It's nothing less than a money saving scam as far as I can see, and as buffalo says, just don't accept that kind of nonsense from a school. I really don't understand how they can begin to justify cutting benefits like housing just because you have decided to stay in said country. Do you suddenly not need a roof over your head, or need to visit family anymore?

It's very simple to avoid though, just politely tell them to stick it and go and work for a decent school that behaves properly instead!
overseasvet2

A different perspective

Post by overseasvet2 »

Let's look at it from a different angle...equity for local hires. Many of our schools hire teachers who married locally long ago and who are in every other sense "local". They are usually paid better than they could be in any other school in town. Foreign hire are recruited so are given the perks that give them incentive to move to the country. If someone decides to settle permanently in a country why should they continue to receive these incentives? I would venture a guess that if someone marries a local, the school presumes this is this case.

Would any of us receive housing or a free international trip if we were working at home?

Let the table pounding begin.....
National

Post by National »

Just to support the op, this does happen. It is the case at my current school in Europe, and I've talked to friends in Latin America where it happens as well. One friend's school in LA even took away overseas status if you got pregnant! At my current school we have quality teachers who have lost os status because they married. They started as overseas, found someone they loved, and then lost status. Another friend has been dating the same woman for years but won't marry her because he'll lose status.

It would make sense if my school had some clause about length of stay -- I've seen schools where you lose os status if you stay longer than 5 years. But my school doesn't have this. You can stay forever just so long as you don't marry a local.
Open Communication

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
sid

Post by sid »

It's very individual to schools. More common in some locales, though I don't think it's common overall.
In many countries in the ME, though certainly not all, marrying into local culture would mean marrying into a whole set of social benefits that would go well and beyond the measly offerings of even the bestest school. Marry a Kuwaiti or Qatari male, and welcome to the world of a half-million US interest free house construction loan, social allowance (worth perhaps the same as annual airfare for one, but given each month), annual travel allowance of 1.5 times monthly salary. I'm not sure the benefits are as lovely if you marry a female, but they certainly aren't negligible.
But that's a few very wealthy countries.
In general, I support the idea that if a person has truly 'gone local', meaning that their life and long-term intentions are truly in the local country, then it doesn't really make sense to provide them the incentives that were meant to compensate them for leaving their home country. They now have a new home country and should be ok living on the local economy, same as they had to do when they lived back home before they were enticed overseas. However, when and how someone 'becomes local' is not as simple as marrying a local. Schools need to define it for themselves and decide whether it even matters to them. Transparency is key. Schools need to have clear policies, and teachers need to make decisions that they can live with.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I once interviewed at a school in a country I was already working in, and was told that I could only be hired as a local hire because I was already in country. End of interview right there...
sid

Post by sid »

That's a common policy in some schools or locations. Quite a few schools, in places where it is more common for people to be able to move without sponsorship, have the rule that if you interview in the country, you can only be local hire.
One school I worked for long ago, in Central America, even took the very shady approach of encouraging young innocents to 'come down for a visit and interview', knowing that once they did, they'd be local hire and too naive to know better. I'm glad I was not associated with choosing or implementing that strategy. I wouldn't be able to live with it.
On the other hand, in the same school, if you lived in country but went to a hiring fair, you could be hired on recruited status. Know the rules, work the rules.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I hear you on that one, Sid. I just had a laugh because it was a school which had trouble attracting teachers. Oh well, it ceased to be my problem as I found another position in country which did give overseas hire status...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes it happens, as Sid said, its more common in some regions then others. In WE a local package isnt that different from a OSH package. About the only real difference is relocation allowance (travel).
Its more common in the southern parts of asia from my experience.

Why schools do it and its because they can. Basically if a guy marries a local asian girl (say Thai) for example the girl provides the incentive to stay. The new spouse isnt going to want to leave their family and go to some strange new country, so it increases the likelihood that your going to stay even if the school gives you a local package. basically, the school doesnt have to incentives you to stay anymore, because the new spouse is enough incentive in most cases.

Does it save schools money, yes. Sure some teachers will leave, but enough of them stay over the years with the lower package to make it cost effective.
Open Communication

edited.