IB Environmental Systems and Societies

Teachermama

IB Environmental Systems and Societies

Post by Teachermama »

Does anyone's school offer this course? Or do most schools just stick to the more traditional IB courses.
National

Post by National »

The school I am at doesn't offer it, but the other international school in the city does. It isn't as common, but it isn't unheard of. The kids really like it.

According to IB statistics, last year there were 7,007 students who took Environmental Systems and Societies. For comparison there were over 37,000 students who took Biology, over 23,000 in Chemistry, and over 17,000 in Physics. That should give you an idea of how common an offering it is.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

My school offers it and it's very popular.

It's only offered at SL I believe and appears to be the choice for students who are not straight science types, similar to Math Studies for non-maths types
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Fabulous course for non science types or even those future science majors wanting more science credits but not necessarily another hardcore science.
Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

Thanks everyone! I would love to teach that, so it is great to know that it is out there in some places at least.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not as common as the traditional science (and 7,000 is accurate), but the IB has made some changes that are increasing its popularity, mainly that ENVsys meets the requirment for group 3 AND group 4 (kill 2 birds with one stone).

ENVsys is offered at HL, the problem with the course is that DIp is only two years and the program is really college prep, and if you study a subject at HL and test high enough you can get college credit, but this is dependent on the school. Many schools dont have a recognized transfer protocol for ENVsys so you end up getting nothing, as opposed to a traditional science like physics, chemistry and biology.
The second issue is that to admissions officers ENVsys looks "weaker" then the traditional sciences, and weaker means less competitive when it comes to not only admissions but scholarship committees. EnvSci and other "earth sciences" in university are usually viewed as the science courses for non science majors.

Its really a shame because the ENVsys course is the closest to the IB philosophy and works very well in conjunction with TOK and CAS. A lot of students in MYP5 that do a science project often have an environmental focus. The IBs change allowing ENVsys to meet the group 3 and 4 requirement means a student can more easily take another more traditional science, and students that dont choose an art subject can take ENVsys as their elective choice.
National

Post by National »

Correction on what PsyGuy said -- the course is only SL as Mr. Cake said.

From the current subject guide: "The environmental systems and societies course is offered at SL only."
PsyGuy

Correction

Post by PsyGuy »

My error, and mistake. Thats what i get for relying on the public side of the IBO site for current information.
National

Post by National »

@PsyGuy -- Not sure where you found the information that environmental systems and societies is offered at HL on the public side of the IBO website. I just looked --

"Interdisciplinary subjects
From September 2008 schools began teaching (for first examinations in 2010) environmental systems and societies as a standard level interdisciplinary course."
(http://ibo.org/diploma/curriculum/additional/)

@ everyone else on this thread
This may also explain the smaller numbers and lesser recognition by universities -- it has only been offered for 5 years.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Here under the subject listing:

"All of these subjects may be studied at higher level or standard level"

http://www.ibo.org/diploma/curriculum/group4/
National

Post by National »

And you skipped the part where it clearly stated to see the additional information on env systems and societies since it is an interdisciplinary course. Hey, everyone is wrong from time to time, you just always state things with such certitude -- even when you shouldn't. If you don't know, don't do quick research then contradict what people who do know have said.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Actually knew that part, and knew it was SL in the past, but talk has been around since last year about ESS going to HL this year, and when i saw that on the public side of the sight i didnt go any further.

Totally lazy and made me totally wrong.

Of course i write with certitude of being right, why would i write something i knew was wrong. I only care about the data, everything i post is either direct experience or from a trusted and reliable source (like the IBs website).

Still no excuse, I wrong, and hope the error didnt cause any problems for the poster.
Nemo.

Re: Comment

Post by Nemo. »

Don't do it yet considering it as we are getting more humanities students who don't know what a test tube looks like!

Bio SL is too hard for them so ESS being considered. Looks ok for the non science types. Matsh studies is the one I want to do but the powers that be say "never it's useless"
panta_rhei

Post by panta_rhei »

I find the subject very interesting. What background do you need to be eligible to teach it? As I mentioned in earlier posts I'm planning to do a PGCE in Economics and Business (my background is in Economics) but what additional qualification would I need if I wanted to teach ESS as a second or third subject?
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

ESS is a science, and I've seen humanities teacher do the course with little science and I think they do the kids a disservice. On the other hand, ESS is also a humanities course and knowledge of geography with a little economics helps (more geography than economics).