Barranquilla Colombia - British International College?

Asiawanderer

Barranquilla Colombia - British International College?

Post by Asiawanderer »

Hi folks

Any info on this school or living in Barranquilla would be most appreciated. Thanks!
bish180b

Post by bish180b »

average money compared with most international schools

very hot, very average beach, boring city

however some beautiful spots not far away- tyrona, cartegena etc
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

If your a single male, Quilla is not boring, at least not in my opinion. Tons of beautiful women, good nightlife on the weekends, movie theatres, gyms, malls, restaurants, a beach ect. Just stick to the north around Alto Prado. Cartagena and Santa Marta only a short bus ride away. Only negative for me is the weather, as its a bit hot and humid.

I cant wait to get back to the Colombian coast and Baranquilla!
Asiawanderer

Post by Asiawanderer »

Hi folks

Thanks for this, appreciate the input! Just wondering if there's any info on the actual school? Also is there a largish ex-pat community in Barranquilla / other teachers around and about or mostly local people?

Cheers
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Barranquilla is more on t e boring side. There isnt a very big expat population, and the nightlife is good, for what it is (based on the size) but the big qualifier to that is that its very close to places (such as Cartagena) that are. Its a "weekender" post. Your basically teaching for the weekends, where you head out of town to more fun places.
CaliPro

Re: Comment

Post by CaliPro »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Barranquilla is more on t e boring side. There isnt a very big expat population, and the nightlife is good, for what it is (based on the size) but the big qualifier to that is that its very close to places (such as Cartagena) that are. Its a "weekender" post. Your basically teaching for the weekends, where you head out of town to more fun places.[/quote]

I did the opposite when I was in Quilla, granted I wasnt working.

I would go to Cartagena (sightsee ect) and Santa Marta (chill town close to awesome beaches Tayrona ect) during the week then head back to Quilla on the weekend for some rumba!

I am actually moving back to Colombia for 4 months (2 months in Barranquilla) after I finish my contract in Korea before returning to the US for the job fairs.

One thing I love about Quilla is there not being any tourists and minimal expats. Cartagena and Santa Marta are swarming with them. For some that is a negative but for me its a plus.

Cant wait to get back to Colombia!
Asiawanderer

Post by Asiawanderer »

Hey Calipro / Psyguy

Thanks for the input. Getting a clearer image of the set up there now. I agree Calipro it's nice not to be around too many tourists / expats. I'd need a few though! When you say minimal is that in the 10s or the 100s!! Did you teach there yourself by the way?

Thanks again!
danny514

Post by danny514 »

I taught EFL in Barranquilla for six months and pretty much concur with PsyGuy. Its a boring, dusty city with no beach (despite being on the coast). After visiting Medellin and Bogota, I was kicking myself for teaching in Quilla. That said, you can always get away to Santa Marta or Cartagena for the weekend (as I did nearly every week).
bish180b

Post by bish180b »

exactly... if u like sitting around in malls and making next to nothing you might like it.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Too many gringos in Medellin for my taste. The Rolas are a bit on the conservative side to add with the dreary weather in Bogota. Cali is great, only downside is no beach to go to.

Pretty sure your making considerably more than "next to nothing" if you are working at one of the top 2 IS in Barranquilla. (Parrish ect.)

All things considered Barranquilla is the best city in Colombia for me.

1) Off the tourist / gringo trail
2) Close to awesome beaches (Tayrona) & cool costal towns of Cartagena y Santa Marta
3) Beautiful women that in true Costena fashion know how to have a good time
4) Great nightlife
Rover

Post by Rover »

As many have said, it´s a boring town unless you really dig the nightlife and even then, there are many better places for that in Colombia. It is all subjective, as can be seen from calipro´s posts, but I much preferred some of the other big cities in Colombia to Barranquilla, in particular Cali and Bogota. However, travel opportunities are very good, and Colombia itself is a fantastic country in which to live. The advice about getting out and about at weekends is a sound one. The best time of the year is the month or so before and including the carnaval, when there is a real . atmosphere about the place.

The school is VERY much a for-profit school, and you will be very much aware of this. It is a business, accept this and you will be fine. The top school in Barranquilla is considered to be Marymount (a girls school), and there is also Karl Parrish and a German school which teaches IB. The kids are generally nice to teach, but they can certainly be lazy, which reflects the soporific nature of the climate. They rarely managed to keep their foreign staff there after their initial contract, if they hadn´t already left by then, although this was a few years ago. Pay seemed to be fine, but I have heard Colombia has got much more expensive these last few years. If you need to get some IGCSE/IB experience it is fine and you will experience an awesome country. Enjoy the lifestyle and travel, and it´s a good place to learn Spanish as few speak English, as well as the expat population being low, definitely in the 10s rather than 100s.