San Francisco?

justlooking

San Francisco?

Post by justlooking »

Any reports from the San Francisco fair like we had from Boston and Bangkok? I'm wondering if there were any good schools there and if people had success landing a job.

I know this fair is near the end of the season, but is it still a viable option for an experienced teacher looking for a decent package and nice place to live?
Walter

Dear justlooking

Post by Walter »

Despite the misinformation from Dave Jaw who told one and all that the top schools finished their recruiting in London and went home, the ISS Fair in SF still attracts top schools looking to finalize their recruiting:
HKIS; Shanghai AS; Cairo AC; American Embassy School, Delhi; AS Bombay; AS in Japan; ISKL; AS London; IS Amsterdam; IS Manila; AS Madrid; Zurich IS; UNIS Hanoi all were hiring teachers at this fair. There were many other schools there as well.
Problem is that, as the last major fair, many candidates are disappointed because the post they had hoped for was already filled. That makes life harder still for couples who may well find that the school they hoped for only has one position.
Oddly enough, this was a pretty good fair for ES classroom teachers. Lots of recruiters had saved these vacancies for the "perfect couple", but they were filling them fast here.
If I were a teacher looking for a good job, this probably wouldn't be the fair I'd choose, but lots of teachers did get good jobs!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

There were a couple, but compared to earlier fairs not many. It was so late in the recruiting cycle, that candidates were competing with candidates that recruiters had already formed an impression of their top pick. In such cases a later candidate has to really WOW a recruiter to break through that preconceived top pick. The top schools are done by london, and the rest of the tier one schools are wrapping up after Cambridge. SF is more a wild card then the big fairs. Some good schools offered contracts in SF though, i was surprised.
Walter

Drivelly Dave

Post by Walter »

Dave, if I understand you (a bizarre premise at the best of times), are you saying that the top schools recruiting at ISS had in their minds a secret list of candidates they had interviewed at earlier fairs and were prepared to go back to unless they had a "WOW" moment at ISS San Fran?
If so, you are even more off the mark than usual. Recruiters don't operate that way and haven't since the 1980s. Good candidates at, say, SEARCH Cambridge don't sit back and hope recruiters will revert to them after the ISS Fair. They take the jobs that they have been offered there and then.
All of the schools that I listed in my first response hired candidates at the ISS Fair. Meanwhile, some of them didn't even go to London. Are you trying to say that they are not within your definition of "top" schools? (ASIJ? HKIS? JIS? ISZ?)
I'm sure your response will be yet another list of contradictions and shifting positions - it would be so much easier to admit that you really don't have a clue.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes.