Beijing Collegiate Academy

IAMBOG

Beijing Collegiate Academy

Post by IAMBOG »

K-12 Canadian School near Choayang.

Any thoughts? It says it caters to locals and expats, but I'm thinking it's heavily leaning toward the former.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Beijing Collegiate Academy

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="IAMBOG"]K-12 Canadian School near Choayang.

Any thoughts? It says it caters to locals and expats, but I'm thinking it's heavily leaning toward the former.[/quote]
----------------------------------------------
Brand new school apparently with everything (good and bad that will come with that). Location seems good and very to near to where we used to live.

New schools in Beijing are tricky. I remember Rego coming in with lots of fanfare and then having more teachers than students and barely scraping through the year.

There will likely be many students who couldn't make it the more established int'l schools. Local students (unless something has changed) cannot go to an int'l school after age 5 unless they have duel passports or other mysterious connections. Could also attract a large Korean population like BISS or some other schools.

So, all that being said, try and get more details from the school (numbers, ownership, leadership, housing etc). Could be worth a shot.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Thanks.

Anyone else? I know it's fairly new and not even a full elementary program yet. Not expecting much info, but you never know!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not new, its just been renamed and refurbished from (BCIS) British Columbia IS. Its not an international school its an independent school, meaning its a local private school. It can enroll international and local students.

Its a third tier school.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

It's not new? It currently only goes fro k-2. They are expanding to grade 3 in September, then up to grade 7 in 2014. I believe it was going to be called the British Columbia International School, but I don't think it ever functioned under that name.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@IAMBOG

Whats your definition of new? Does ownership changing the name and starting over qualify as new?

The school BCIS was a mess. Ownership (a new board) decided to rename and structure the schools organization and only offer an EC-2 program while they take sometime to redo the rest of their primary program, before approaching the secondary program doesnt meet my definition of new, itts the same ownership, meaning the same problems will eventually reappear.

QSI seems to "create" a new school every couple of years, does that mean those "new" schools should get a clean slate? NOT, from my POV, they are still QSI schools and they inherit the same philosophy that "conditions" the learning and working environment to come.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I'm pretty sure there has never been a school in Beijing called the British Columbia International School, at least not one that ever actually opened.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="IAMBOG"]I'm pretty sure there has never been a school in Beijing called the British Columbia International School, at least not one that ever actually opened.[/quote]
---------------------------------------
It's not on I've heard of but I don't claim to know anything. I do know that there is a BCIS but it has nothing to do with British Columbia.