Living in Beirut?

txcasey

Living in Beirut?

Post by txcasey »

I have so appreciated all the helpful tips and advice I've been reading on here for the last few months. I'm hoping someone out there can answer this for me...

I'm interested in a position in Beirut, but am having a hard time with the so-called CNN Effect. I have a student from there and for the last 2 years, I've heard wonderful things about Lebanon and the people (and I love the food!). From what I can tell, the school looks pretty good and the position is exactly what I want to teach...but is it safe? I'm a single woman in my 30s and my young son is coming with me.

Does anyone have any experience living there recently? Syria is so close... I know there's no predicting future conflict - and I fully understand I can be shot here in the States at my local movie theater or even my school - but I want to avoid walking into a known danger zone, especially with my only child.

I'd said I'd go anywhere BUT the ME, but this school has me intrigued far more than I thought it would. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I would jump at the chance to teach in Beirut; it was high on my list last time I was job hunting. It's not a "known danger zone." You just can't worry about stuff like that this early in the search process, in my opinion. I'm sure the school will instruct all new hires re: safety. Why not get an interview first, then, if things progress, talk frankly about safety.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I have friends here who go to Beirut regularly. It is a vibrant Middle Eastern city colored by everything the ME has to offer. Former students of mine play music there many nights and the night life is very alive and well among the young people. Politically, there are issues, as there are everywhere in the ME these days, but nobody really wants to go back to the Civil War days.

I would teach in Beirut, if that is where Mrs. Shadowjack wanted to go...
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

You have to take what you see on CNN with a grain of salt. If you have a chance to go work in Beirut then you should do it. It is an amazing city.

I'll also add that you are more likely to get shot in Houston, Dallas, or New Orleans than in Beirut, Dubai, or Abu Dhabi.