DODEA Prior Military

teachabroad

DODEA Prior Military

Post by teachabroad »

Does anyone know if a military vet would get any portion of service time transferred into years towards teaching retirement when teaching as a DOD teacher?

I am a Special Ed teacher in California with 8 years of prior service time.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: DODEA Prior Military

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="teachabroad"]Does anyone know if a military vet would get any portion of service time transferred into years towards teaching retirement when teaching as a DOD teacher?

I am a Special Ed teacher in California with 8 years of prior service time.[/quote]
----------------------
Someone may have different information but I would seriously doubt it. DoDDS teachers are civilians so I'm not certain how that would work.

On a different note I'm also a SPED teacher and highly recommend pursuing all of your opportunities with DoDDS and int'l schools.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I was under the impression that ex-military DO have, if not priority, more "points" or whatever that bumps them up on the hire list. It's like going into civil service.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Technically you do get your veteran preference (5pts or 10pts) and when two candidates are equal the one with the higher veteran preference is supposed to get the job. In reality it doesnt work that way, principals have very broad hiring authority to hire who they think is going to be the best fit. They arent going to hire an inferior teacher over a better one, just because of veteran preference. recently in the last 2 years principals have more control and discretion who they hire, and basically a principal can submit a single name unless HR has a valid regulatory cause for denying the hire, the principal gets to hire who they want.
teachabroad

DODEAS Retirement

Post by teachabroad »

Yes, I understand 'preference points', but, does anyone know if my 8yrs of military service will count towards collecting retirement- can I retire in 12 yrs vs 20, is what I'm asking?!

Thank you
euxpat

Yes

Post by euxpat »

Any all all US Govt employment will add up, including military time. But state, local, county etc govt employment won't.