Canadian international school singapore

Teachermama

Canadian international school singapore

Post by Teachermama »

Can anyone tell me anything about this school?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Decent school, Ontario curriculum, two campuses, not the best place, but not the worst place either.
Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

Thanks. Just wondering if it was a good school, what "tier" it might be (as it feels like my 3 kid situation bars me from the top schools?) whether they hire folks without ib experience, what their policy is on number of dependent kids covered, and just a general feel of the school if anyone has worked or visited.
Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

Thanks pippafrit! Just what I wanted to know. We aren't available to go until 2014 so I am just browsing through schools and trying to develop a list of ones that I should watch for vacancies when the time comes.

Btw, my ipad wanted to autocorrect you to "pip parrot"! ;)
seashell

Post by seashell »

When I went to my first PYP workshop one of the workshop leaders was working at Canadian Int'l School Singapore. I was very impressed by her strong PYP ethos and she eve had some of her students come and join the workshop. I would say very strong PYP school, certainly many non-Canadians send their children there.

Would agree that a three bedroom is going to cost you in S'pore. Though I found the general cost of living to not be too extreme--I'm single though and you've got three kids!

Although Singapore became far from my favorite place in the world I would recommend it simply for the teaching--my class was a mini U.N. and so were my colleagues. Most of the International Schools are massive so there are a lot of options on that Island and generally a lot of support for a new PYP teacher, on the other hand it is very fast-paced and I appreciated that I had lived and taught internationally before I landed there.
ann

Post by ann »

Hi papafrit

Are you sure they hire teacher without IB experience ?
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

We had an interesting discussion with the man who was doing the hiring and he indicated to us (we have two dependents) that they had 70 teaching dependents presently and they were not hiring anybody with dependents this year. That being said, if you're the teacher they want...

thanks!!
Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

All very interesting. We aren't looking to go until fall 2014 so maybe their dependent ratio will have sorted itself out by then. If not, I guess it wasn't meant to be!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

To me, 50% of dependents airfare covered is a warning sign...just saying...
Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

What concern would the 50% airfare raise for you? To me, that combined with house allowance seemed to create a flexibility for them to hire people with kids in that it wouldn't cost the school more for housing and the teacher would have to help with flight costs.
cdn

Post by cdn »

CIS is a for profit school. I think what shadowjack might be saying, is that the 50% might be an indicator of other profit motivated decisions on their part.