Contract Timescales

MHunt

Contract Timescales

Post by MHunt »

I'm new to the International scene and I have been made an offer in an Email. I know this isn't legally binding yet and was wondering how long I am likely to have to wait before the contract comes out. The school is in South East Asia and there are Visas involved. I'd really appreciate your experiences, so I have some idea of what to expect. Thank you very much, I appreciate your responses.

Mike Hunt
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Sorry to be off topic, but are you the same Mike Hunt referred to in the infamous phone call in Clark's 1982 film, 'Porky's'?

"Is Mike Hunt here?", "Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?"
Last edited by Mr.Cake on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MHunt

Post by MHunt »

I had no idea... Sorry, I haven't seen the film.
MHunt

Post by MHunt »

Thank you Pippafrit, I guess it varies from school to school.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

I had to wait a few months. In retrospect I should have seen it as a warning sign for things to come - school is very lapse when it comes to paperwork, and leaves it until the last minute to organise exit permits, work permits and alike.

No worries, you have to say the lines a few times out loud, as in the film, to get the joke :)
MHunt

Post by MHunt »

Thanks for the help and in hindsight I get the joke :)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends on the school and country. In asisa many contract arent legally binding and valid until your documents have been approved by immigration/labor and a visa issued (technically its an exit clause, that voids the contract if a visa and other permit can not be obtained). These clauses are vague enough that they make no distinction under what conditions the visa or permit isnt obtained to nullify the contract. For instance the school could find someone else, and not process your paperwork and hence not obtain the visa/permit and that would be sufficient to nullify the contract.

If a school wants something to happen, they can make it happen quickly. If they are moving slowly its because they arent motivated to do so, or they are holding back for potential other options.