Is this enough money in Bangkok?

dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

Not NIST. Must be ISB then. Congrats.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Was that a 'thanks yantantether for your offer but I think we'll pass', or was I just completely ignored?
appleton

Post by appleton »

Yantantether, we didn't mean to ignore you. We are just processing a lot of info from a lot of different people. I believe another poster recommended renting a car. I think we will probably try and rent until we get all settled.

Thanks for the info.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

That is a VERY good salary. Your either on a corporate or government employee (FSO) package. You will do AMAZINGLY well, even with a spouse and kids. There are ELL teachers living on 20K Baht. With 50K baht housing allowance you should be able to get a fully furnished and serviced 4 bedroom in an affluent area. The tax rate is 20% but if your coming on a red or black passport you wont pay Thai taxes. If its a government package, check with your relocation officer, most multinationals have an employee tax agreement as part of their business incentive plan. That said the tax rate is very low about 5% your first 6 months, then can get as high as 25%, (you might actually max out at the 25%, most teachers hit the 20% mark).

You dont need a car but with your salary you can afford one. Most of them are asian imports though there are some local models (never buy a Photon). You pay a lot for a new car about a 200%-250% markup. You can probabley go for a german make, which is status in BKK. Personally i would choose a car and driver, driving in Thailand is insane. id also look into at a minimum an au pair, maid & PA, and possibly a cook.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Mmmm, I have a feeling you have completely misunderstood my post. I was suggesting you may be interested in buying OR renting my car. Anyway, nevermind, no problem

Psy: If they are British they certainly WILL have to pay taxes. They may later be in a position to claim it back but that's another story. Also I think you mean 'Proton'? And I certainly didn't pay 200% more for my Ford!

I agree with your last part but think they should add the candle maker in for good measure ^_^

Seriously, I don't know what you are on but can you send me some over for the holidays!!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

It could be Proton, whatever word in Thai means "always broken".

GB subjects and citizens who are diplomatic or official passport holders of the home, or foreign offices, or the Queens Messenger do not pay Thai taxes. Such individuals are British and do not pay Thai taxes.

Absinth, and no.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Spoil sport!!
pacificsurf619

Post by pacificsurf619 »

Good luck in Bangkok
inman

Post by inman »

Proton are a Malaysian brand
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Toyoda is a Japanese brand, the cars are still a piece of junk wherever you are. Thank you for the clarification though.