Follow up to: What would you do?

jbiersteker

Follow up to: What would you do?

Post by jbiersteker »

Hi folks,

As we now ponder going to Cambridge, do you think it is possible to obtain jobs (and save a lot of money) by only having myself go to the fair? My wife, as an elementary teacher, is pretty easy to fit in, on the other hand, me the history teacher is much more difficult and definitely the harder "fit". Can you get jobs by just interviewing one spouse, or is it always worth the extra costs of having both people go?

Thanks!!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

My wife was a trailing spouse who is making a switch into teaching starting classes this year. She came.

If both of you are recruiting, both of you should go.

My two cents, of course. Others might disagree :-)
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Well, my principal says I can go, so it looks like we're off to the madness that is Cambridge. We still hope the other school offers, but I don't want to be an idiot when it calls back with no job and I could have gone to Cambridge. Oh, my aching wallet!!

Thanks!!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

If shes going to be in a classroom shes going to need to meet with the recruiters. I would consider skipping her fees though and just ask if she can come to the interview with you and mention shes a primary teacher as well. There is no reason to pay twice for the same database. Your the one that really needs to find a suitable position and vacancy.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If she's at the fair and recruiting, she should pay the fee. Just my two cents. You both are availing yourself of the service, after all.

Look at it this way - what buffet would let you and your wife walk in, pay for one meal, and then both eat?

Exactly.
sid

Post by sid »

She needs to attend if she's looking for a job. Yes, she's an easier fit, but schools take every position seriously. They will want to see that she's the right candidate for the job.