Tier 1 schools in China...outside Beijing and Shanghai

Danda

Post by Danda »

There are a couple of nice apps that you can look at for pollution in China. I've got an android app called Air Quality China. I also have that one on my iPad. There is another iPad app that I can't think of right now. Just search in the App Store.

I use them to check and see if the air is ok to go outside and exercise. I sometimes check the levels in other large Chinese cities (Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu) and they are almost always much higher than the pollution in the Guangzhou/Shenzhen area.
yoplay

re: Shekou

Post by yoplay »

I was impressed with Shekou when I interview with them a while back. I remember the package being solid ($50,000, tax free, all utilities and housing covered), and the director Bob Dunseth(sp?) seemed like a genuinely good guy. It's easy striking distance to get to HK anytime you want, too. Shenzhen is not going to do a whole lot for the pollution problem though.
Don't know if they fit in that tier 1 category, but definitely a strong option in China.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

The pay side of the site paints a negative and fairly consistent picture of Shekou. I think it would be worth a read before taking a job there. I personally think Shenzhen is pretty boring. Other than being close to HK, there isn't much to be said for it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Its a lower tier 2 school for the region (though if you expand the region to include GZ then its tier 3). The package is okay, it favors singles and teaching couples, becoming less Ok when you factor in kids. As mentioned the area is fine if all you want to do is go shopping for the basics and hang out at fast food places. You can see everything worth seeing in a weekend. After that your basically working for the weekend and getting out to HK or GZ.
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

Shanghai Singapore International School rings a bell? Any info would be much appreciated.
thanks
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

For those of you interested in air quality in China, here is an excellent, easy to read website

http://www.aqicn.info/city/shanghai/
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

Thanks, MySharona! Much easier to read than all the tables and things on the world health org site.