What Would You Do?

jbiersteker

What Would You Do?

Post by jbiersteker »

So here's the situation:

A school interviewed us and the director was pretty confident that I was his man for a history position. He was under obligation however to attend the IOWA fair, but he had pre-screened the other candidates and felt that I was still the best man for the job. He has said however that he must go to the fair, and that we should probably wait another week or two.

Well, low and behold we get an invitation to attend Cambridge (we were on the waitlist). I know we should go, but we just spent a whole lot of money for Toronto (which was unfortunate), and we really wanted to go to Cambridge. Now we will have to spend a whole lot more with no guarantees.

Thanks!!
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

If I can afford it I go to Cambridge. Here's the thing, if he wanted to hire you he could have. He's using the UNI fair as a way to see if he can find someone better. He's obligated to attend the fair, but that doesn't mean that he has to have a history position available when he does.

You have to do what is best for you and your career. What if you get a better offer at a better school at Cambridge? What if he comes back from UNI and says, sorry, found someone else.

Do not take any chances on your career. There is nothing wrong, or unprofessional about attending a fair when you haven't been offered anything.

Good luck to you.
SunshineTchr

Post by SunshineTchr »

I agree with the PPs - regardless of the sincerity of the director's intent, you don't have a job yet. He (and all recruiters) will do whatever they can to get whoever they consider to be their "best fit", and we candidates better do the same. Shelling out the cash for this stuff makes me cringe a little too, but the potential returns are worth it! I was wondering if I would let that school know I was attending the Cambridge fair in the meantime, but I think if it were me, I would figure it wasn't necessary.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Thank you so much for your replies!!

One important consideration was that there wasn't an elementary position for this year, so the director asked us if we would consider other combinations for my wife such as HS ESL or possibly dorm responsibilities. We replied that we would because we think the school would be a marvelous fit for our children.

I have notified both the school and our Search advisor but have yet to hear back from either one. I am not going to proceed until tomorrow morning until I have heard from either one. I don't want to leave hotel and flights too late!!

Thanks!!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Cambridge is an amazing fair - lots of jobs, I suspect, will be filled there. It is so much better than Toronto - I am sure you will notice the difference.

No, I have never been, but just looking at Search's list of schools that are attending tells me this.

Get thee to Cambridge!
sid

Post by sid »

The director's excuse doesn't hold up. He's under no obligation to go to the fair. Recruiters regularly change their fair plans if they have filled all positions (cancelling fairs) or still have openings (adding fairs). I've known a dubious one or two to even attend a fair after they had filled all positions, though for the life of me I can't imagine doing this.

Advice from the others is spot on. If the school really wanted you, they would have offered on the spot. They're still looking and will hire someone else if they find them. Quite possibly this is due to the situation with not having a spot for your spouse, meaning you really are the number one pick, but they aren't convinced it's a good idea to hire you not knowing what to do with her. Fair enough. Would you really be happy long term, and could you really afford to stay if only one was working?

Anyway, go to Cambridge, and good luck.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

If you can afford it you should go to Cambridge.
A lot of candidates make this mistake, flattery, kind words, and enthusiasm mean nothing. The only thing that means anything is an offer and a contract. If they really wanted you they could have offered you a contract and gone to the other fair to fill their other positions. They may like you but they are still looking for better. Most likely a teaching couple they have vacancies for or a single teacher.
The recruiter is full of it, they are under no "obligation" to go to any fair. Schools dont show up at fairs they are scheduled to all the time.