Naples, Italy

livefree

Naples, Italy

Post by livefree »

Would you work in Naples, Italy if hired, but school does not provide housing nor a housing allowance, no health benefits, no assistance whatsoever?
nikkor

Tough call

Post by nikkor »

I have been to Naples and all over Italy, on multiple trips, over months of time. I love Southern Italy, and the Dolomite Mountains in the North. I would love to live there.

Working there is perhaps a different matter. I would factor in: where are you in your career? Beginning, mid, end? What is your retirement situation looking like? How long do you want to live overseas? Etc. With living expenses, plus lots of travel, will you be able to save money, or will you be negative? La Dolce Vita may not be so sweet. Career wise, it may not be a good professional move for a mid-late career person, as the school may lack PD and resources, and be generally a poor educational institution.

If it's your 1st job, great! Enjoy. If you are mid-late career, why not work somewhere that pays good money, is good for you professionally, and spend your vacation time in Italy?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

No. It is known that most Italian schools do not pay well, do not have great benefits, and do not provide a lot of help with other things. However, you would be living in Italy...
livefree

Re: Tough call

Post by livefree »

[quote="nikkor"]I have been to Naples and all over Italy, on multiple trips, over months of time. I love Southern Italy, and the Dolomite Mountains in the North. I would love to live there.

Working there is perhaps a different matter. I would factor in: where are you in your career? Beginning, mid, end? What is your retirement situation looking like? How long do you want to live overseas? Etc. With living expenses, plus lots of travel, will you be able to save money, or will you be negative? La Dolce Vita may not be so sweet. Career wise, it may not be a good professional move for a mid-late career person, as the school may lack PD and resources, and be generally a poor educational institution.

If it's your 1st job, great! Enjoy. If you are mid-late career, why not work somewhere that pays good money, is good for you professionally, and spend your vacation time in Italy?[/quote]

It would be my 1st international teaching job. It's a school on the NATO base. I'm female, single..mid -30's. I am just worried about being able to survive there. I am not a big spender, however I do not want to be stressing about paying rent, bills, etc.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

In this type of situation, it's common to ask to talk with a couple of current employees who would be in your dept, and/or working at your same pay level. You can bounce questions off of them, without having to worry so much about the principal pulling one over on you.

The health benefits piece could be a real problem. Don't forget that.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

First you will get health care. If you pay italian taxes or are resident you are automatically enrolled in the national health plan. You can go to hospital if you have a major injury illness and they have clinics based out of the hospital for smaller medical problems. Chemists (pharmacists) at pharmacies can prescribe things like antibiotics, etc.
Its not the same as a private health insurance policy and doesnt provide for out of country care. It also tens to side on the cheapest cost of treatment option.

Second, the vast majority of EU schools dont provide housing or a housing allowance, so if you keep looking for one that does, your going to be looking a long time.
What this means is that your really only missing out on is a relocation package, mainly airfare and temporary housing, which would be maybe 4000€ tops. Its not that big a deal, but schools in Italy dont do much as far as assisting a new arrival. You really are usually on your own. When I was teaching in Italy 2 years ago, my school gave me a relocation allowance but I had to do everything on my own. had to find my own temporary housing and even had to get their from the airport on my own. The most i ever got from the school was a couple suggestions and leads about available places, and a guarantee from my school to the landlord.

Should you go YES, absolutely. Why, because its ITALY, its the same reason why lower tier schools with low compensation packages in italy have long lines going across the room, and the ME schools on the other side with good money and all the benefits have nobody wanting to talk to them, because its ITALY. You cant compare living in one of the greatest countries on earth to a hole like the ME. Everyone knows it, and thats why year after year you see the same thing.
Naples isnt my first choice in Italy, its dirty, too congested and their is a petty crime problem, but aside from that its truly living the soul (though not the heart) of roman life. If you want the heart go to Venice, if you want the mind go to Rome, if you want the wallet go to Milan.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livefree

Re: Reply

Post by livefree »

[quote="PsyGuy"]First you will get health care. If you pay italian taxes or are resident you are automatically enrolled in the national health plan. You can go to hospital if you have a major injury illness and they have clinics based out of the hospital for smaller medical problems. Chemists (pharmacists) at pharmacies can prescribe things like antibiotics, etc.
Its not the same as a private health insurance policy and doesnt provide for out of country care. It also tens to side on the cheapest cost of treatment option.

Second, the vast majority of EU schools dont provide housing or a housing allowance, so if you keep looking for one that does, your going to be looking a long time.
What this means is that your really only missing out on is a relocation package, mainly airfare and temporary housing, which would be maybe 4000€ tops. Its not that big a deal, but schools in Italy dont do much as far as assisting a new arrival. You really are usually on your own. When I was teaching in Italy 2 years ago, my school gave me a relocation allowance but I had to do everything on my own. had to find my own temporary housing and even had to get their from the airport on my own. The most i ever got from the school was a couple suggestions and leads about available places, and a guarantee from my school to the landlord.

Should you go YES, absolutely. Why, because its ITALY, its the same reason why lower tier schools with low compensation packages in italy have long lines going across the room, and the ME schools on the other side with good money and all the benefits have nobody wanting to talk to them, because its ITALY. You cant compare living in one of the greatest countries on earth the ME. Everyone knows it, and thats why year after year you see the same thing.
Naples isnt my first choice in Italy, its dirty, too congested and their is a petty crime problem, but aside from that its truly living the soul (though not the heart) of roman life. If you want the heart go to Venice, if you want the mind go to Rome, if you want the wallet go to Milan.[/quote]

Thanks PsyGuy. I have heard about the crime problems in Naples. I would love to work in other parts of Italy, but it's difficult if you're not a Euro citizen. This school in Naples invited me to come for an interview because the school mostly caters to NATO dependents. Most of the teachers are American wives of NATO members, so that's why they don't have to worry about healthcare, visa, etc. They are covered through NATO. Unfortunately they do not do phone/skype interviews...That's why I am hesitate about flying to Italy for an interview.
vickisitu

Re: Reply

Post by vickisitu »

Hi, Live free.
I wanted to work in an international school. I went on do an international school job search on the website. I found this International school where I applied. and they replied me in couple of days after and invited me to go over for an interview. The school is also a NATO based. I am thinking we are talking about the same school.
I was wondering if you are eventually go over to naples for an interview?
Thanks in advance!
vickisitu

Post by vickisitu »

DOES anyone has the similar experience? please feel free to share.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

I don't know if this is true but I heard if you are of Italian descent on both sides, you can apply for some kind of special work permit or resident permit to Italy.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Italian Citizenship via Jus Sanguinis - Google it!
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

[quote = Dredge]Italian Citizenship via Jus Sanguinis - Google it![/quote]

Wow! I had no idea.
So I can become an Italian citizen!
That's great.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

If you have any questions about it, please let me know. First, check to see if you qualify and your ancestors didn't give up their Italian citizenship before the first person of your family was born in the U.S. (usually grandfather or great grandfather).
SAS

Post by SAS »

@Dredge
"If you have any questions about it, please let me know. First, check to see if you qualify and your ancestors didn't give up their Italian citizenship before the first person of your family was born in the U.S. (usually grandfather or great grandfather)."

I have dual passports as well, US & Ireland. If a parent or grandparent was born in Ireland, you are automatically considered an Irish citizen. Getting the passport was similar in process to the Italian one, namely birth certs, marriage certs, etc. I was never asked if Irish citizenship was renounced though and they do not care if the relative was on the male or female side.

I am wondering about retirement in Italy. Would the Italian passport be easier? I would qualify for an Italian passport as well.
vickisitu

Post by vickisitu »

Thank you all for your posts!
Do you know how long does it take for me to apply for an Italian work permit?
What are the requirements if you are a Canadian citizen?