How Important is Specific Certification?

antitravolta

How Important is Specific Certification?

Post by antitravolta »

I'm getting ready for the Cambridge fair and to be honest, almost all of the schools I was seriously considering are gone at this point. I count 8 schools that are left that hold any real interest for me in my certification area (middle school math). My question is this...Is it worth it for me to apply for high school math jobs or middle school math/science jobs. I'm not certified in math beyond 9th grade, but don't see any reason it would be a problem for me to teach. For math/science positions, again I'm certified in math, but don't have any certification or experience in science. Again, I think I'd be fine teaching it, especially with 6 months to study up and refresh myself on what I need to know. Do you think it would be worth my effort to pursue these jobs? It opens up a lot more desirable schools, but don't want to waste my time (and the recruiters' time) if I won't be seriously considered.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If you can teach up to grade 12 - calculus, pre-calc, statistics, then I would put your name in for HS math as well.

What do you have to lose? As PsyGuy said on another thread - schools like math teachers who can teach it all...

go for it!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Well the cost of applying is almost zero, just dont be surprised if you dont get any action/attention of your application. If your going to the fair anyway you should maximize your time.

I always hear teachers who say they can do it, but too a recruiter what matters is that you can prove you can do it. Proof means experience and certification. At DIP level math and science those levels are tested. I wouldnt put a math or science teacher in a DIP1 or DIP2 classroom who wasnt certified and didnt have experience teaching with demonstrable results in that subject.

I think you could push your certification and experience to MYP (which technically goes to 10th grade) but beyond that I dont see it happening.
antitravolta

Re: Reply

Post by antitravolta »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Well the cost of applying is almost zero, just dont be surprised if you dont get any action/attention of your application. If your going to the fair anyway you should maximize your time.

I always hear teachers who say they can do it, but too a recruiter what matters is that you can prove you can do it. Proof means experience and certification. At DIP level math and science those levels are tested. I wouldnt put a math or science teacher in a DIP1 or DIP2 classroom who wasnt certified and didnt have experience teaching with demonstrable results in that subject.

I think you could push your certification and experience to MYP (which technically goes to 10th grade) but beyond that I dont see it happening.[/quote]

Makes sense. Thanks for your feedback. I have a feeling pursuing MS Math/Science is a better use of my time than going towards HS Math. Hopefully I'll get one of the seven remaining tolerable jobs in MS Math and this will be moot.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Again - if you don't try, you will never know. It costs you nothing to do it, but the payoff is fantastic if it works.

That is, if you have the ability to teach math to grade 12 including pre-calc, calc, and stats...
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

Totally agree, shadowjack. For me, it's just trying to figure out where to put my energy at this point as I assume it would be hard to get to every one of the schools listed for HS Math and MS Math/Science. Next time around, I'll definitely try to get to an earlier job fair as it's really slim pickings by the time it gets to Cambridge.
SAS

Post by SAS »

Shadowjack,

Do you think the reverse is true too? I am science certified K-12, have been teaching middle school science for the last 12 years, mostly grade 8, and certainly teach a fair amount of math within the science content. I have taught sixth grade math but it was 10 years ago. I have found several math/science combo jobs and know I can teach up through algebra I.
sid

Post by sid »

It never hurts to try and you wouldn't be the first person to succeed.
However, schools will tend to prefer math teachers who can teach the full gamut, or most of it, and by 'can' I mean have demonstrated that they can in one way or another. In the short term, if a school is pinched and needs to hire someone, they may hire someone who can only teach through middle school, but year after year that hiring choice will drive scheduling decisions and hiring needs, and the recruiter knows that, so he will avoid it if he can.
Smaller schools, with only 1 math teacher for all middle and high grades, obviously can't make such a choice at all. Even in a bigger school with 6 or 12 math teachers, the knock-on effects of such a choice can be far-reaching, and it's a drain on morale and resources when 'we'd like to have you teach x course, but we can't because Mr Middle School can't be moved'.

So what am I saying? Give it a go, it can't hurt, but be understanding when schools are not fully enthusiastic. And maybe have some solutions in mind to ease their worries, like a plan for how you will take some graduate courses to prepare you for higher math courses in the coming years.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

SAS, it is as Sid said. If you have the proof you have done it, but not the certification, and you seem a good fit, some schools might take a flyer on you - others won't. If you don't have the experience, it is harder.

However, if you have a plan, as Sid said, then you can pitch that to them, and mention that you are seeking a school where you can start at X level, but that your goal is to become certified and move up to Y level within Z years.

This can also make a difference.

If you don't try, you will never know! However, don't stop targeting schools with positions in your main area!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree the cost of trying and applying is almost zero. Id hit the middle school math/science positions at signup, and then work through your list of higher level positions until your done or run out of time.

A schools expectation is that if your a secondary subject teacher you can teach all levels. Its not just your assignment this year but next, and the expectation is that you could teach 11/12 grade, in math that means Pre-Calc and Calc, and in science it means chemistry and physics. if you go in with a resume of a middle school science teacher, thats what your going to be seen is. Schools dont take your word for it, they look for proof and proof is experience and certification. Your certified, but even an 8th grade lab is very different from a IB HL chemistry or 11th grade chemistry class. Thats a tested subject and an admin is going to want a teacher who has a demonstrable track record.

Apply, but dont be frustrated if it doesnt happen.