question about school at London fair

johnp

question about school at London fair

Post by johnp »

For those of you in London, is Amadeus International School (Austria) at the current London fair?

We aren't at that fair, but we were interested in that school. They indicated in the ad that people should post CVs on TIE, and I wondered if that mean they were considering candidates outside the fair as well (because don't the Search candidates post/share their CVs through Search)?
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I'm not at the fair but the Search database says that they are one of the schools in attendance. I assume that's correct.

A lot of the schools advertise in numerous places. My school advertised on TIE but they don't hire outside candidates (those that they can't interview in person at the fair) until after the fairs.
cdn

Post by cdn »

They are here. They are hiring for a couple of primary positions and a few secondary.
johnp

Post by johnp »

Thanks for the information.

Would you expect a school to fill all positions at this fair? If a school indicates that they will be attending two fairs, will they often fill all positions at the first one?
cdn

Post by cdn »

I'm a relative newbie to the fair thing, but it seems pretty competitive in terms of positions here. Quite a few people seem to have been offered positions from conversations I have had and overheard. As Pippa mentioned in her thread, recruiters are getting frustrated by the candidates signing with other schools. We cancelled 2 interviews this morning, because of other more competitive offers.

Having said that, though, a couple of recruiters has mentioned that they are here to recruit for specific positions or programs (PYP, MYP, dp, etc) and aren't as keen to fill other positions yet. One school had positions throughout their school, but were only really looking into secondary candidates.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

[quote="johnp"]Thanks for the information.

Would you expect a school to fill all positions at this fair? If a school indicates that they will be attending two fairs, will they often fill all positions at the first one?[/quote]

It's entirely possible that they could fill all of their positions if they don't have many available. It all depends on the fit at the fair. Sometimes schools offer positions to candidates that don't accept. You just won't know until after the fair. The fastest way to a broken heart in the IS teaching circuit is to get your hopes up about a particular school. Hope that they save something for you.
johnp

Post by johnp »

Thanks again for the replies.

Cdn, did you mean that it seems this specific school has offered lots of people positions at the fair, or that many schools in general have done so?

It wasn't possible for me to attend the fair, and I wonder now how many positions in the IS school circuit open up after the fair. When people tell their current schools they are attending the fair, do their current schools post the positions right away, or would there be openings in schools in the near future as people tell their schools that they have gotten new positions and won't be returning?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@johnP

School offer contracts at fairs.

About half the people at a fair get an offer at the fair. Some schools do wait until the end of the recruiting rush to look at all the candidates and then decide. It would be foolish to think that any school would wait for an unknown teacher who might apply in the future. Jops and positions are disappearing, you should contact the school ASAP, as it serves no benefit to you to wait.
cdn

Post by cdn »

I don't know much about that school specifically, as it wasn't on my radar. They didn't have a lot of positions, so it would be unreasonable to assume that they couldn't fill them all if they wanted. There was a lot of competition in London, so they may have walked away without certain positions filled. I'm new to all of this too, so take it all with a grain of salt.

As Psyguy said, you should probably be applying as you are reading this...start....now...go!